Wet patch on ceiling above landing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

I've just noticed this morning a wet patch (about the size of your hand outstreched) on the ceiling above the stairs.

Never noticed this before, and am guessing it's to do with the recent torrential rain/winds we've been having. It's a detatched house and this side of the house is quite exposed to the surrounding area/blasts of wind etc as it faces side on into the street.

Have also notice slight sagging around this area of the landing also, and at a slight push, finger will go into the artex, so guessing this is all damp/wet as well above.

It's a detached house, believe the roof was actually redone about 10-15 years ago, missus hasn't noticed it yet and don't want her to stress/panic about another possible repair.

I'll get up into the attic in a bit and have a look if I can see anything, any suggestions though? missing tiles/rain getting in from above etc?

The red box highlight where the hallway/stairs/landing are and the arrow is pointing roughly to where the wet patch is.

I'm not a roofer (obviously) but noticed on the image the flashing/covering at the corner there and wondered if this was perhaps the culprit and maybe just needed resealing?

Thanks,

Paul

Sponsored Links
right, just been up there, and it appears the tops of some of the rafters on this side are damp/wet on the upper side (underside is fine) which would indicate to me water getting in through the tiles above/tiles missing/flashing needs redoing? and then soaking down to the ceiling below?

or i guess it could also be poor seals at the wall/roof edge that side as well as this is the general area of dampness in the ceiling (in the loft there's nothing immediately above the wet area bar the joists/insulation.

there's no visible holes or water dripping through, so i think it's a pro-longed soaking effect which is causing it? wind and rain has been pretty bad recently.

Any chance of some closer pitures of the roof including the ridge and flashing abutments?

hmm not really, can't get up there myself, quite high and my ladder will never make it :D

Sponsored Links
It's impossible to give an answer concerning the flashings and ridge tiles without an external examination really and as I'm assumming that you won't be able to get up there to do the work yourself then the next course of action for you is to contact a local builder or roofer and have them go up to look.

yeah thats the plan today, although again torrential rain so i doubt anyone will be going up there!

figured there may be many possible if's & buts :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back