Wet pressure testing of new copper pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I want to pressure test my bathroom shower/sink pipe fittings using a manual wet pressure tester (which I'LL hire), before sealing the floorboards. I want to ensure the soldered joints are strong and free of any leaks.

All the pipes are in copper/soldered (except the ones exiting at the shower pump which are push type flexible hose).

I've never used a manual wet pump before, so just wanted to know how to go abouts using one. Does the pump connect at the taps/shower valve? I've yet to fit the taps/shower valve and currently have endcaps fitted. Also I have filled the hot & cold circuits with water to check for leaks.

I understand that pipes needs to be tested at 2bar for 10mins & a further 10bar for 10mins minutes.
My shower pump will be operting at 2 bar, so I'm I correct in saying the pipes must be tested to 1.5 times their working pressure?

any guidance appreciated.

regards

Sponsored Links
The pumps usually have a 1/2" connection to a male bsp (sometimes 1/4") so a temporary means of connection has to be incorporated usually.
It is easy to do and if you are hiring the kit it should come with instructions.
OR
Just turn the water on. Its only a bathroom ;)

Thanks Tamz,

Thats exactly what I did. just turned on the water to see if there are any leaks.
I did find one slow leak at an elbow, and after fixing it, has compelled me to go for the pressure testing for total peace of mind!

Bearing in mind that the hot & cold pipes exiting the shower pump will be subjected to 2bar, so wouldn't it be wise to to pressure test them to be on the safe side?
Also if any one could advise how long/what bar should the test be carried out?
regards

Put mains pressure onto soldered joints and visually examine them for a continuos ring of solder. Give them some physical stress and if there's no leak, then they'll be ok.

Sponsored Links
The correct procedure for testing with a hydraulic pressure tester is to pressurise the system to one and a half times its normal operating pressure or 3 Bar, whichever is the greater. Leave the system pressurised for one hour. If the pressure remains unchanged, the system is sound.

The correct procedure for testing with a hydraulic pressure tester is to pressurise the system to one and a half times its normal operating pressure or 3 Bar, whichever is the greater. Leave the system pressurised for one hour. If the pressure remains unchanged, the system is sound.
Which may well be 10+ bar in london. Scary :confused:

pressure testing is a little OTT just for a bathroom. i wouldnt be bothering that much, just open the valves.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back