Wet shed floor

jar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have a garden shed which was here before we moved in. How it was built I don't know as it is in a 5 foot gap between the house and the fence between the properties. It is only about 2 inches from the outside wall of the house and butted up against the fence posts on the other side. This makes it impossible to access at either side.

There is a problem with water getting into the shed. First of all I could see it getting in via the roof so I've used some paint on sealant which seems to have fixed this (for now).

Unfortunately there seems to be water getting directly onto the floor somehow. I believe it may be because the side wall of the shed is butted against the fence posts and water may be running down the posts and in under any gaps between the wall and the floor. Maybe ??

As I mentioned it's not possible to acces the sides of the shed but I'd rather not let the thing rot as I've no idea how I'd get a new one in the gap that's there !!

Would running caulk or some other sealant along the inside of the shed at the floor/wall joint make a difference or would this just possibly cause more problems down the line ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Probably not. If you can access and jack up each corner in turn and put some blocks or bricks under it, that might help.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry - should have said. The shed is already on bricks (corners and a couple of places along the length) so isn't actually at ground level.

This is why it's confusing how it's still getting wet. Only thing I can think of is it's running down the sides and in underneath but because there's no way to access the sides it's hard to find out.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi

It's an all wooden shed.

But, as I said, I don't believe the water is coming in via the roof since I sealed some dodgy joints in the covering. There is no water visible on the ceiling or walls but just the floor and it looks like it's coming in from the joint between the floor and wall.

are the restricted access areas on the slopes could you fit a gutter on the roof and keep those areas fairly dry ??

does the sides off the shed cover the base??

Hi big-all

The inaccessible sides are on both the long sides.
Roof slopes long side to long side.
The roof does extend a couple of inches over the side wall where I think the water is getting in at the bottom. The roof obviously isn't stopping the fence getting soaked and water running down the posts.

I was wondering if there was any way of covering this but the only thing I could think of was a polythene or tarpaulin sheet but this would be a bit of an eyesore.

A gutter is a good idea if the water is actually running down the walls from the roof itself - I just can't see that it is, but that's not to say it's definitely not.

Cheers

ok picture time
can you take a couple off overall general not to close pictures ;)

Big-All

Will get pictures as soon as I can get them in daylight, work permitting. Possibly tomorrow.

Cheers

Photos included

One is a front view showing the house on the left and the fence on the right.

The other is a view to the right side showing the shed and fence posts.

Thanks

I would be inclined to remove those upright pieces(2x2's?) between the shed and fence and move the shed away from the house, and fit a gutter to the shed so that it doesn't just tip water all over next door.This should give you a ventilation gap between shed and house which I would say is where the water is coming from.
Alternatively , and I'll admit it might be a bit odd but you could always put a flashing in the wall and refelt the shed roof as the paint on type of stuff you have used isn't really a long term solution.

I would be inclined to remove those upright pieces(2x2's?) between the shed and fence

think they are holding the fence up :cry: :cry:

any way its the worst off all situations :( no ventilation possible between house wall and shed
no gutter officialy possible as it would overhang

my solution would be to remove the shed
introduce a wooden floor sat on 2x2 battons treated.
battons on the house wall made from 2x2 treated to support the now removed wall and to support the roof that will as ladylola suggests be made water tight to the house with flashing

you may just be able to introduce a gutter affixed to the shed side up to the boudery line with at least 1" for the water to fall into

it is in desperate need off treatment to help stop water penetration

Guys
Thanks for the help.
Not a quick fix then ....

Oh well - a small project for some weekend.

Cheers

I'd agree with previous suggestions, flash left side, gutter right. Should make a difference. Is the interior actually clad on the house side?

Deluks - sorry not sure what you mean. Do you mean the inside of the shed or the outside of the shed on the house side ?

The felt on the roof goes maybe 2 or 3 inches down the left hand side of the shed from the roof. Nothing further down. Gap between house and shed is maybe 1-2 inches.

As I've said, it looks like the water is getting in underneath the right side wall from the outside as I don't see any water on the walls on the inside (on any wall), but the floor itself is wet, which is dependant on how heavy the rainfall is.

I'll take all your advice on board and come up with a plan. It's certainly not going to fall down (it's got nowhere to go !!) but the floor might eventually give way.

Thanks guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back