Wet soil question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have just finished digging a trench for a new gas supply. I found that the soil near to the house is very wet and loose compared to the rest of the front garden.
In the images you can see the soil next to the paved area is much darker than the rest.
Is this something I should be worried about?
What can I do about it?
What is the likely cause?
There is a downpipe near to it which goes to a gully but ive never seen water collecting near and given the lack of rain over the last few months I would have thought it should be pretty dry by now.
And ideas?
Thanks
Tony

Attachments

• 20200627_122435.jpg
    20200627_122435.jpg
    718.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 20200627_122423.jpg
    20200627_122423.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 119
Sponsored Links
Can you check if the down pipe has any leaks?
Could the water be pooling on the patio and flowing on that side? The darker soil appears to align with the edge of the patio. Can you check with a hose pipe to see where the water flows?

Can you check if the down pipe has any leaks?
Could the water be pooling on the patio and flowing on that side? The darker soil appears to align with the edge of the patio. Can you check with a hose pipe to see where the water flows?

The down pipe doesnt leak and goes straight into the gully trap. The ground does slope left to right as you look at the picture so it could be run off from the paving but the soil is so wet and we have hardly had any rain for weeks could it really just be that?

Sponsored Links
Just a guess but if the rain is directed to a certain area the land will tend to hold more moisture overtime. Appears to be shaded due to the fence and shrubbery.

My 2ps worth :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back