Wet underfloor heating, an alternative technique?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everybody!
First of all excuse my language, as I am not a native speaker, but I will try to explain my underfloor heating installation plan as detailed as possible to ask your comments.

We have just purchased our first property and we are planning to upgrade old back boiler system. I would like to install an underfloor heating system and trying to manage this with a tight budget. Our property is an 1960s built ground floor maisonette which has concrete floor without any insulation. So initially I am planning to use "Kingspan" or similar insulation panel for the bottom layer, and on top of that I will lay 18mm thick standard grade chipboard with 40cm width along the room and will leave 20mm between each chipboard sheet where I will lay aluminium spreader plates. And lastly, I will run the 16mm pipes through aluminium channels.

I would like to ask you whether my plan sounds realistic and doable. thanks in advance for your comments.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
No, it is exactly what I said it was.

And a 60's built UK maisonette is likely to need closer spacing and a hell of a lot more insulation.

Wouldn't waste my time.
The back boiler will be very reliable any new boiler will not be as reliable.
Stick with new radiators less hassle and a lot cheaper to install.
Heats up and cools down much quicker.

Wet underfloor. A lot of hassle to install and expensive.

I assume the maisonette is leasehold. You may need permission before changing the floor as it may be considered structural and not yours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back