Wet underfloor heating - install under cupboards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When planning and installing wet underfloor heating as part of a rebuild project, is it best to install it everywhere in the kitchen including under cupboards and appliances (rationale being that in future if the homeowner ever changed the design, it might leave an exposed cold spot)? Same question also applies to bathrooms and bedroom cupboard areas.

Sponsored Links
Daft as it sounds, yes.; it's just one of those things you have to put up with. Just cut a small slot at the top of the plinths to let the warmth out. If you worked on the principle of not heating things on the floor, then you'd have to work out where the furniture was going to go.

We never lay it under units, the ufh manufacturers will ask for a kitchen plan and leave it out under units on the line drawings.

Sponsored Links
So what happens Rogue if the kitchen needs moving round? The floors down for 50 years, but kitchen get changed every 10 years, and whilst most will stay static, not all do.

I didn't fit it under mine as I have electric UFH in the old kitchen and its the whole room, even with gaps at the top of plinths the cabs are still a tad warm inside. The extension was designed round the kitchen plan so no UFH under the cabs all three firms recommended that no wet UFH was under them.

So what happens Rogue if the kitchen needs moving round? The floors down for 50 years, but kitchen get changed every 10 years, and whilst most will stay static, not all do.
As for that well if in 50 years time they really want to move the kitchen then the screed and insulation will need ripping up too if they want it warm.

It's the recognised way to work.
No underfloor manufacturer I've ever used has included pipe under the units.
No one wants their tins of soup or packets of pasta pretty warmed.
Live for today Doggit, I'm sure you'll care as much as I do in 50 years time. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back