Wetroom Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

would love some advice if possible.

i have been searching for info but i am struggling to get my answer, and i have looked at so many posts and videos that my brain is fried!

I am converting a downstairs bathroom to a wet room and i have it all sorted except the toilet, i have never changed one before or had anything to do with fitting / removing them.

I have attached some photos on the toilet i will be replacing.

my questions is, what toilet can i replace this with? - my concerns with just buying any toilet is the fact its so far out from the wall, its currently sitting about 62cm away from the wall.
the waste pipe looks to be fixed to the toilet with some form of mortar, it actually feels like plaster, and it is approximately 185mm wide.
also note the inconvenient location of the mains water supply.

if you were replacing this toilet, what would you use and what would you change?

ALSO

i am installing a mixer shower and i am chasing the pipework into the wall, i am having a combi fitted once the bathroom is done so i am using 15mm pipework throughout (correct me if i am wrong) as i believe that 22mm is overkill and more intended for gravity fed?
i was going to use copper but a neighbor said he used plastic as its easier than messing around trying to cover up all the copper ready for cementing back into the wall spaces.
would you use Copper or Plastic for a shower install?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
All new pans cause an issue with being too far away from the wall. Space saving pan connectors are available to get the pan back close to the wall, if the cistern is still not touching the wall, then a wooden batten is sometimes fixed to the wall at the appropriate height, and the cistern then fixed to the batten. Tile the batten to conceal and waterproof. If none of these options are suitable, the floor has to come up and the drain repositioned with the use of 2 45° bends to 'dogleg' it into the correct position.

Outlets were usually sealed to the drain with mortar or putty. A piece of tarred rope or rag may have been used to prevent the mortar dropping into the drain. Remove the pan with caution, you don't want any bits dropping down the drain, or the drain to crack. Be very careful, broken bits of china can be razor sharp, like glass. Heavy duty gloves advised.

Thanks for the reply! And the advice - I will have to take the plunge I think and buy the best toilet for the job I can find and then hash a plan together as I go.

Do you (or anyone else) have recommendations on pipe type? Copper or plastic?

Thanks again and kind regards

Dig the floor up and move the drain. Fit a Geberit duo fix frame and a wall mounted pan. Proper job.

Sponsored Links
If you want a WC to fit the existing drain and have the cistern touching the wall, the only one I'm aware of that will come close is the Twyford 3D, but it's about £500. Failing that, time to dig it up and alter it underground.

As for the rest of the pipework, copper is proper ;)

last time I looked, Twyford Alcona, Twyford Refresh, Twyford E100 and Twyford Classic were available with S trap.

You do need to measure the distance from wall to centre of soil pipe to find the best fit. I was looking at about 240mm. The maker's website should have technical drawings with dimensions.

The Refresh might have been discontinued now, not sure, but the Alcona is widely available at modest price.

http://www.plumbase.co.uk/twyford-390-x-366-x-640mm-100007638-2217285

http://www.plumbase.co.uk/twyford-390-x-370-x-640mm-100007638-2217342

So is the Classic but it is a low-level and looks rather old-fashioned. It is easier to space a low-level off the wall to fit as the cistern need not be a precise distance.

http://www.qssupplies.co.uk/bathroom-furniture-shower-taps/13584.htm

Thank you all so much for your replies! - (thanks for the links John)

reading your comments and looking online its looking like moving it is going to be the only option really to do a propper job and seams as i am chipping out half the bathroom floor to fit a wetroom tray, might as well go balls deep .

would i be able to drill through the wall to insert waste pipe through the wall for a close coupled toilet, then tap this into the soil pipe? (the drilling part is all fine got myself kitted up with a Makita SDS etc), main question is i presume it would be fine to plumb a toilet into the existing soil pipe?

measuring on the outside wall i can see that i would have exactly enough space to drill through the wall, add a 90 and a tee to the stench pipe and it would all be fitting perfect. (Famous last words)

how would i seal this old drain up? - access to the drainage outside is easy as the manhole is 1 meter away from the wall so its a pretty short run, would i be able to block the drain at the toilet end with paper and or rags, leave a foot or so "un stuffed" then fill with concrete?

i would love your advice! - thanks very much for the help so-far :)

2 possibilities here, connection to the stack is permitted provided you are above 450mm from the invert (bottom) of the drain it connects to. Seal the redundant drain at both ends using concrete.

Alternatively, (if easier or the drain is less than 450mm deep), you could dig down outside the wall, find the existing drain, and couple onto that, bringing it up externally, before coming through the wall at the appropriate point for the new WC.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back