Wetroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on fitting a wetrooms in a house conversion. There is a lot of conflictiong information online but I have the following plan and comments from anyone with experience would be most welcome;

1- Existing timber floor joists (Room 1.9m x 1.7m)
2- 9mm to nothing firing strips laid ontop of joists in 1 x 1m area to create fall to drain.
3- outside this 1x1m area a layer of 9mm ply to match top of firing strips
5- a further layer of 18mm ply over the whole floor, including sloping down to the drain.
6- GRP fibreglass layer lapped up the walls 1 brick course
7- tile and grout onto the fibreglass

Therfore max floor thickness = 27mm + tiles
(existing floor boards are 21mm)

So the questions;

1- The walls have been stripped back to brickwork already, and I'll use 'aqua cote' or similar waterproof board before tiling onto it. Does the fibreglass go down and then the wall boards, so they sit in front of the fibreglass, or does the board go on the walls and then the fibreglass is lapped up it?

2- I've got are Purus Minmaxx floor drains, does anyone have experience of these?

3- A company spoke to today said that so long as your toilet and sink are outside a 1.5m radius from the shower you don't need a shower screen. I was going to take a leave it and see approach to this- I can always add one later if he is wrong. Just thought as I was asking questions I'd see if anyone had experience otherwise.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You sound as though you have it in hand - the only thing that I'd consider is using altro vinyl flooring instead of tiles (needs to be laid by pros since the seams are welded and they have the gear and the experience)

I'm not sure about vinyl, although I know it has improved a lot from the vinyl most people think of, I might see if rubber flooring would do it as an alternative to tiles, it'd keep the floor height down a bit.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure about vinyl, although I know it has improved a lot from the vinyl most people think of, I might see if rubber flooring would do it as an alternative to tiles, it'd keep the floor height down a bit.
Thanks
They use altro in many buildings now, including domestic as well as hospitals and schools. Looks good and is very hard wearing - my sister had it installed in her house when they had to refurb it for her disabilities (MS), and 4 years on it looks as good as when it was first laid. It's been used heavily with foot and wheelchair traffic in the kitchen/sitting/dining room as well as in the wetroom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back