Whar price for this work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i've currently live in a flat and have two metal water tanks at high level in the airing cupboard.A large one for hot water and smaller one which I think is for my heating.

The large ne is leaking and have been advised by a local plumber I pulled out of the yellow pages that he can replace the leaking tank but it would be advisable is to change them both to new plastic ones.

My question is this

Is it advisable to change them both even though only one is leaking?

He quoted me £280 for parts and labour including VAT to change them both. Is this a reasonable price? What do you charge?

He also said he could service my Ideal Mexico boiler for a further £40. is this reasonable.

I thank you in advance for your advise , you seem a good, honest reliable group. Naff TV programs give you all a bad name but its nice to see decent plumbers and tradesman giving honest advise on here. Thankyou and keep up the good work.

Sponsored Links
SeagullS said:
I thank you in advance for your advise , you seem a good, honest reliable group. Naff TV programs give you all a bad name but its nice to see decent plumbers and tradesman giving honest advise on here. Thankyou and keep up the good work.
:eek: :eek:

He`s being more reasonable than I would be :LOL:

It would make sense to change them both, one mess and all that :rolleyes:

Price is very reasonable, is he Corgy registered :?:

Sponsored Links
I don`t think it`s allowed on here for you to ask, or for me to quote prices :cry: ..sorry.. it`s The Law...I don`t think he is being unreasonable though.

Bamber gaspipe said:
I don`t think it`s allowed on here for you to ask, or for me to quote prices :cry: ..sorry.. it`s The Law...I don`t think he is being unreasonable though.

I thought we had changed our minds on that one....anyway good advice and decent price.

doitall said:
It would make sense to change them both, one mess and all that :rolleyes:

Price is very reasonable, is he Corgy registered :?:

Yeah he showed me his Corgi card which I inpected.

Cheers guys, really apprectiate it..any more advice, ideas on the cost is also welcome.

ollski said:
Bamber gaspipe said:

I thought we had changed our minds on that one....anyway good advice and decent price.

So we can quote prices then? :confused:

Bamber gaspipe said:

there was some representation from some forum users some time ago suggesting that pricing advice as a guidline would not only be helpfull but could look more freindly

and with good grace the admin team listened relaxed the rules to allow people to suggest prices without the obligatory see rule xyz being posted

i aplaud there good common sense
and yes no one will complain unless they think your after free advertising
which is fair enough ;)

SeagullS said:
He quoted me £280 for parts and labour including VAT to change them both. Is this a reasonable price? What do you charge?

He also said he could service my Ideal Mexico boiler for a further £40. is this reasonable.
Thankyou and keep up the good work.

70 quid for boiler service, plus vat..380 quid for tanks plus vat... snap :D his hand off

The Owner after a massive amount of persuasion eventually agreed that it was reasonable to give people an idea of prices for jobs.

He is over sensitive about "advertising" because he theoretically provides that as a paid service. Unfortunately his "find a tradesman" section does not work properly and there are virtually no advertisers there. If it did work we would consider advertising there.

The answer is probably to tell people what you would charge but stop very short of actually quoting on the forum for doing a particular job. I do have to say that I very much dislike seeing some of the newbee cowboys saying " give me 300 cash and I will come and do it for you". Thats illegal, puts the profession into disrespect and makes the website look unprofessional.

Tony

Agile said:
I do have to say that I very much dislike seeing some of the newbee cowboys saying " give me 300 cash and I will come and do it for you".
You don't have to say it. :rolleyes:

Thats illegal
What's illegal about it?

...puts the profession into disrespect
How does it do that?

...and makes the website look unprofessional.
No it doesn't, but since you've already been blatently advertising and dropping spelling errors everywhere, it wasn't looking very professional anyway.

Softus said:
No it doesn't, but since you've already been blatently advertising and dropping spelling errors everywhere, it wasn't looking very professional anyway.

Sorry, Softus, but it's blatantly. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back