What’s an average m2 rate for block paving?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Supply and install from a typical landscaping outfit?

including prepping the ground, any sub base and finished with a contrasting outside border.

It doesn’t need to be exact, just a budget m2 rate?

I noticed that the paving I would opt for costs approx £28-£32 per m2 online.

Sponsored Links
I'm sure I remember pricing it in at £50 p/sqm - dig off, supply and lay, way back when. I haven't priced a block paving job for more than a decade.

Probably double that now.

Well, I was quoted just short of £4k for 16m2. Needless to say, I got the spade out the shed.

Supply and install from a typical landscaping outfit?

including prepping the ground, any sub base and finished with a contrasting outside border.

It doesn’t need to be exact, just a budget m2 rate?

I noticed that the paving I would opt for costs approx £28-£32 per m2 online.

I would guess £100 a sq metre for a budget paver….mind you that was before silly prices came to town.

Sponsored Links
Big job >100m2 done properly ~£120 per sqm + VAT - just had a job done after several quotes at similar rates. Medium priced block. Lancashire

Well, I was quoted just short of £4k for 16m2. Needless to say, I got the spade out the shed.

Yeah I just got quotes £5,760 for not much more area and I just can’t square that kind of cost up in my head in terms of material, plant and Labour.

I guess I’ll be looking at doing it myself but I’ll need a crash course on how it’s done.

I guess I’ll be looking at doing it myself but I’ll need a crash course on how it’s done.
The go to resource is the paving expert website.

You may need to invest in some gear, but still cheaper than the quote, and at the end, you will still have the gear!

All the plant needed can be hired, or you can just do it with a spade or 2!

The go to resource is the paving expert website.

You may need to invest in some gear, but still cheaper than the quote, and at the end, you will still have the gear!

All the plant needed can be hired, or you can just do it with a spade or 2!

Cheers Mike, I'll have a look at that site today. Just do as much reading as I can and do a Youtube marathon of paving videos.

My start off point was to check if there were any specific Building Regs related to paving of this type but there doesn't seem to be. Regardless of how much plant, tools and materials come to, I can't see it coming anywhere close to the quote and is good to learn how to do this anyway because I'll have a lot more groundworks beyond this paving to get done and if it's similar pricing then there's no way I'm paying out for that.

Yeah I just got quotes £5,760 for not much more area and I just can’t square that kind of cost up in my head in terms of material, plant and Labour.

Say 20sqm - very roughly...

Blocks £1K
4T MOT £150
1T bedding £50
Cement, aggregates, drainage £150
4 days, 2 man team cost £2K
Waste disposal £200
Plant cost or hire £100
company overheads and profit £1K
+VAT

Not much in the OHP to cover insurances, fuel, employment costs etc etc......

I did about 90m myself for around £2k, I was lucky to get the blocks from eBay (Marshalls used to sell off end of line stuff really cheap) for £800. The rest was the groundwork (I replaced a large front lawn with paving) disposal of spoil was expensive (I think it was 3 x 12 ton grab lorries) but aggregates not too bad (it was a few years ago) - the grab people brought recycled stuff and spread it around a bit, my mate gave me a small whacker but I did hire a big bomag roller for a day to give the mot a good going over.

With the price of labour these days the DIY route is making more sense these days, even for relatively well paid people.

Say 20sqm - very roughly...

Blocks £1K
4T MOT £150
1T bedding £50
Cement, aggregates, drainage £150
4 days, 2 man team cost £2K
Waste disposal £200
Plant cost or hire £100
company overheads and profit £1K
+VAT

Not much in the OHP to cover insurances, fuel, employment costs etc etc......

So basically saving myself at least £3k if I do it myself... think that's a bit of a no brainer then I guess.

Thank you for the estimated costs, that helps... I'll price it up proper today.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back