What’s best for boarding over chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I put my shower tray down I was gonna to put 6mm ply down to cover the chipboard floor and then use aquapanel for the walls

However I was recommended to use no more ply on the floor. Which is fine but it comes in 600x1200 sheets which I thought a bit small as would be nice to have one full sheet under the tray.
Is no more ply the best to use or is there a better alternative for the floor?Can anyone Recommend what’s best?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
In my ensuite, the shower tray lays directly on the flooring grade chip.

But I would put the wall board up before fitting the tray.

I used Abacus board for the walls and their shower tray sealing kit.

Thanks, was going to use aquapanel for her walls but will take a look at abacus but wanted something to sure up the floor.

Just wondered if there was an equivalent type board for the floor.

Sponsored Links
You need something supportive under the tray, especially if it's going onto P5 (or worst just plain chipboard). Should never be used in bathrooms IMO. You also need to lift the floor and check the span between the joists to ensure the tray is well supported on all sides (chipboard really likes to deflect in the void space between supports), if not then noggins need to be introduced and the floor tightly screwed back down. I would also recommend that the space is tanked.

Too many times have I had to lift trays off of P5 that over time have moved, the seal's gone and the floor's then got wet and it's then ruined, last one I did the floor actually caved below the tile at the step out point.

A good quality WBP ply or OSB3 does the job, no more ply is a good alternative, it's cement based and waterproof but again it needs to be .

The key to a long lasting shower space is the prep.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back