What’s the best way to fill the hole in my bathroom floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the corner of my bathroom there’s a cupboard. It used to be the airing cupboard, as the hot water tank once sat directly below it in the kitchen. To let the warm air circulate, the dividing bit of floor was left out – not cut away, but never created.

I’d like to get rid of the cupboard to make more room in the bathroom, but wanted to ask your recommendations on how to extend the existing floor joists. My main concern is that the new floor is strong enough. The loo’s going to go on top of it, and I’d rather not plummet into the kitchen the next time I had a poo. It’s unhygienic for one.

Personally, I’d bolt new sections of joist to the old and knock a hole in the outside wall to sit the other end on. Hows that sound? If you’ve got any better suggestions, tips on what bolts would be best etc. or advice I’d be very grateful.

Cheers.

[/b]

Sponsored Links
No problem.
I can't work out how to make the pictures appear in this window, but here's a link to my album with the pictures in:

//www.diynot.com/network/ThrumptonPerriwhistle/albums/661

The plan is to move the soil pipe outside and put (electric) underfloor heating in the bathroom.
I'd like to replace the floorboards with WBP, which the heating elements need to sit on, so there
isn't a big step up into the bathroom.
Would fixing joists to the walls and putting a few noggins in to support the corner work?

Cheers.[/img]

Cant see it :cry:

An Error Has Occurred
You do not have permission to view this album.

Might be to do with your set up to make it private, might need to undo it(?)

Sponsored Links
In the 2nd photo where your black shoe is ;) can you take another photo facing your shoe as I want to see the pipes going through the joist

The final (fourth) photo is taken looking back to where my foot was.
A long time ago, someone had fitted a sink in the bedroom for the old lady who used to live here. The big empty hole is where the drain for it ran.
Once the soil pipe is outside, I intend to run the sink and bath drains through the wall and along into the waste via a boss. Which will leave quite a bit of emplty space there.
I want to run the hot and cold pipes under the floor to the bath/shower/sink when the new units go in, as they're currently above ground, as it were. So I can make use of a little bit of that gap.
Will make sure they're still inspectible for bonding though.

Cheers.

Ah, I got it now. I'm a bit concern on the size of the hole through trimmer (should be double joist) which the pipes really need to tidy it up. If it was me, I would try and renew the trimmer joist if possible (will need to be prop up from below for temporary support) and cut the notch on the top of the joist for the pipe, if you can removed the trimmer maybe you could double the joist as a sister bolted together and into the wall or you could use heavy duty joist hangers using 4"x2" rawbolted to the both side of the wall then put down 18mm exterior plywood which will spread the load, judging from your photo the toilet new position should sit on the full length of the joist

Cheers for that. If I rawbolted the joists to the side wall, like you say, would it really be necessary to replace the trimmer, as it stops having to take as much weight?
That said, what do you reckon to double joisting the trimmer with a new joist bolted to it, then notching the top of both of them for the pipes?
Then there's a bit more support in place and I can have a straight pipe run?
Thanks for your help with all this.

Cheers for that. If I rawbolted the joists to the side wall, like you say, would it really be necessary to replace the trimmer, as it stops having to take as much weight?
You should be okay ;)
That said, what do you reckon to double joisting the trimmer with a new joist bolted to it, then notching the top of both of them for the pipes?
That's fine, you seem to know what you're doing ;)

As long as you use the 18mm plywood which will spread the load

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back