What’s wrong with this DRIVEWAY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Driveway almost complete
Any driveway professionals on this forum who can advice please

What’s wrong with this driveway it looks very high to the right of drive it’s so high I can’t walk on to my turf

Will the concrete on sides hold up the driveway for years to come or not
Any suggestions please

Is it too late to fit a retainer wall

This guy who had all
His lads from Watford to fit the driveway says he is an engineer but did no work himself

Attachments

• AE00F876-89FB-4F14-B7FA-39FFC5866BC2.jpeg
    AE00F876-89FB-4F14-B7FA-39FFC5866BC2.jpeg
    452.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 51F23A41-3CEF-48E6-A8B5-464BF57B58CC.jpeg
    51F23A41-3CEF-48E6-A8B5-464BF57B58CC.jpeg
    532.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 7DC1C6AA-5624-4B7F-8946-BE2C96676A8D.jpeg
    7DC1C6AA-5624-4B7F-8946-BE2C96676A8D.jpeg
    592 KB · Views: 188
  • 3E6A7DBA-D4A0-4D27-AAA0-82D6E4182C90.jpeg
    3E6A7DBA-D4A0-4D27-AAA0-82D6E4182C90.jpeg
    570.8 KB · Views: 192
Sponsored Links
More pics...have they bridged the dpc?

Looks a bit shoddy in places.

I’d definitely be concerned with the lack of the soakaway, but you’ve obviously let them continue with the job.

The haunching looks strong enough to hold the drive. I’d suggest you build up the adjacent flowerbed with soil for aesthetic purposes.

Not a terrible job for £5.5k. You gets what you pay for.

Sponsored Links
This has happened all very fast the photos are still the same as the first report but with added pavers on top

I am asking for advice if this looks right and what can I do to hide the cemented support sides on right side or does this have to be re done

I have now received a report from another driveway company he said the cement holing up the driveway will not last he said report them to trading standards and HMRC for the cash you paid them. I have now reported them he has not come back to finish the joint sanding just left a bag and not supported the key kurbs on other side
Told me not to drive on it until they finish the job
They have not returned today to complete job
The driveway is not safe because it’s now to high up from lawn

I can not see properly but have they continued your drive over the public path and right to the road ?

More pics...

Hope u havent pay them in full yet!

What did you discuss and ask them to do? What was you expecting to happen with the levels? Would you be happy with a sloping driveway towards the house? Sounds like some communication didnt happen here

No he said he will take out the 10 inch cement old driveway and level using some of that hardcore also a soak away
He then said no soak away as you have a boarded end of driveway to take the rain water away
He did not tell me he was going higher with the driveway I argued with him why is this so high it was level with grass near front of house. He refused to do anything saying he knew what he was doing as he is a trained engineer
The driveway company came today to inspect and said the cement he has payed at side of driveway will end up crumbling and the work on that is appalling he even used a railway sleeper to prop up
The cement on edge of driveway facing the road right side photo. Did not even ask to take and use it
It’s now been reported to trading standards

Where did you find this Company?

Quality of work is questionable, if you've paid them then I rather suspect that will be the last you see of them and your money.

Edit, having read the other Thread my suspicions are confirmed. Afraid you've been completely ripped off. Trying to get any come back may be extremely difficult, and ultimately these Guys also know where you live. They have taken full advantage, but sadly it may be one to put down to experience.

Pavercraft Watford I will just have to pay some one to put in a retaining wall to make more secure on one side of driveway

Some really bad con men out there. Sorry you have gone through that.

No he said he will take out the 10 inch cement old driveway and level using some of that hardcore also a soak away
He then said no soak away as you have a boarded end of driveway to take the rain water away
He did not tell me he was going higher with the driveway I argued with him why is this so high it was level with grass near front of house. He refused to do anything saying he knew what he was doing as he is a trained engineer
The driveway company came today to inspect and said the cement he has payed at side of driveway will end up crumbling and the work on that is appalling he even used a railway sleeper to prop up
The cement on edge of driveway facing the road right side photo. Did not even ask to take and use it
It’s now been reported to trading standards
Ask the second company for a written report giving their opinion on how the job has been done. To be honest saying something and putting it in writing might be 2 different things. You can't do anything without evidence which at the moment you do not seem to have, it is just your word against his. I'm not sure what prices are like in your area, perhaps you should have got the second guy to put a value on it. My only observation is that he has done it in a manner that is easiest ie a square herringbone instead of a proper one. But again we don't know what was quoted for, apart from the soak away you mention, or how the price compares to how much others in your area would have charged. To be honest unless you intend to park a car alongside the edge near the lawn I doubt you need a retaining wall building but that is your choice and obviously I cannot see how strong it is structurally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back