What a brilliant result!!!

Softus wrote. So you don't think it's picky that oompah stated his belief that using the term "frogs" was not racists.Read my post again and you will read that I asked why it was racist to call a Frenchman a frog ,not that it is my belief.

Sponsored Links
Ha ha. It must be the way you tell 'em. Did you like Bernard Manning? BTW I'm quite keen on him now that he's gone silent. Or am I not allowed to say that for fear of offending people who think that all dead people are saints?
I'm sure you remember that I liked Bernard Manning and now you're just being dead'ist :LOL:

I see. So you don't think it's picky that oompah stated his belief that using the term "frogs" was not racists, but you think it's picky of me to ask a simple question to unearth his/her reasons for that belief.

Or is it that you think I'm picky to repeat a question when someone doesn't answer it?

Or do you think I'm picky to repeat a question in a civil manner, and without becoming personally abusive?

Or do you think I'm picky to ask you why you think I'm picky?

Or do you think I'm picky just because I have the ability to read, write, remember the point of what I was writing, and to stick to that point?
Wowsers ... I think I'll keep out of this one now as you've moved into "war of attrition" mode ;)

oompah said:
Read my post again and you will read that I asked why it was racist to call a Frenchman a frog ,not that it is my belief.
It was reasonable inference, but if it isn't your belief, then I apologise for saying that it was.

How about you clear up the point and state, clearly, whether or not you believe that to call a French person "frog" is racist?

If you do [believe that it's racist], then perhaps you could explain why you asked David E why it is [racist].

If you don't [believe that it's racist], then perhaps you could explain why you think it isn't, and why you made a bug fuss about what I wrote.

If you don't know whether or not you believe that it's racist, then it would be best to say exactly that, then I'll know where you stand. The not answering any question thing that you have going is just starting to lose my interest.

Can't help feeling you're being a bit picky here Softy boy ...

How do you feel about ...

Jock
Taff
Paddy
Scouse

Et al?

Are these really offensive or could it simply be that the World has gone PC up it's own a r s e :LOL:

Odd one out..come on...no takers?

Ok ok...look I raised this purely for the reason that im always baffled on what defines a racist comment...oompah rightly suggested that 'frogs' isnt a reference to their race..therefore how can it be considered 'racist' ...I suggested that the terms spade and rag head must be of a similar vein then?...but in general terms they are also considered racist.

They are not a reference to the race, or country..but are considered demeaning to that race

But are they technically racist?...would frog in a court of law be taken any more serious than spade?

Softus's point about n***** is also based on the same lines..but again it isnt a reference to a country and if its true about the latin angle...based on oompahs arguement that frog isnt racist because its based on their liking for frogs legs...then surely technically n***** isnt racist as per the dictionary defination?

Even though its still widely regarded as the most offensive word you can call a black person (unless your black yourself of course...then its ok :rolleyes: )

Sponsored Links
megawatt said:
I'm sure you remember that I liked Bernard Manning and now you're just being dead'ist :LOL:
You're quite wrong - I have no memory of who did, or didn't, like Bernard Manning.

Wowsers ... I think I'll keep out of this one now as you've moved into "war of attrition" mode ;)
This is no war; these are very simple and plain questions, most of which are the same question over and over again, because somebody keeps posting without actually answering it.

Apologies for crediting you with memory you do not possess.

War or not you've worn me down :LOL:

If you do [believe that it's racist], then perhaps you could explain why you asked David E why it is [racist].

Softus..he didnt, he asked me...purely based on the point I made (see 3 posts up)

I wish i hadnt have said anything now.. :confused:

megawatt said:
I possess it, but I value its content, so I dispense with things that aren't important and that can be looked up quickly and easily.

War or not you've worn me down
Well I suspect we're all getting bored with it, so let's cut the craap...

To refer to members of a race of a people using a name or a term that those people would consider insulting or derogatory, for any reason, is anti-social. In certain circumstances, when spoken by certain people, it would be construed as an incitement to others to poke fun, or dislike, or despise, or, worst of all, to hate.

Whether or not it's racist, according to the strict definition, is more than slightly irrelevant, because we have no other word that is sufficiently neat and concise to describe the act of, at best, using a word to poke fun at entire race of people.

So, call it what you like: racism, xenophobia, mob mentality, cowardice, perhaps just childish exuberance, but if someone argues about whether or not it's racist purely to get out of thinking about, and deciding, whether or not it's an acceptable way for civilised people to behave, then I find it hard to respect that person.

My memory has just reminded me that it's time for bed ... Goodnight Softus.

War or not you've worn me down :LOL:

Megawatt. This is not a war of attrition so therefore you cannot be worn down. What you are is frustrated. Frustrated that an apparantly intelligent human being, cannot come round to your, and others, way of thinking.
According to my wife, there is a solution to your problem. She suggests that you, and anyone else who has a problem with the Softus point of view, should watch the X Factor on ITV next weekend. If you do, pay particular attention to Rhydian. Is he not what you perceive Softus to be in real life? If this is the case, then the next time Softus bugs you, think of Rhydian and you'll smile.

megawatt said:
My memory has just reminded me that it's time for bed ... Goodnight Softus.
I can't think of a single comment that would be a less relevant reply to what was a serious point.

megawatt said:
Next time you make a serious point I'll try to think of one :LOL:
Don't bother, megawatt. I won't be listening. That was your last opportunity.

Sponsored Links
Back