What a strange coincidence

OT but:
Didn't it have the distinction of being the only motorbike with a reverse gear?
No, there are in fact several.
The most popular models that have a reverse gear include the Honda Goldwing, the BMW K1200LT, the Can-Am Spider bikes, the Moto Guzi and the Ural motorcycles which have a sidecar.

I remember a Russian one way back 3o+ years ago when I had a bike.

Sponsored Links
there was (at least) one that could be made to run backwards by tinkering with the ign manual adv/ret.

Might have been the Panther.

Useful trick on an outfit.

I was told that the Squariel could be started with no kick, by turning on the ignition. If it was warm, the initial spark had a good chance of firing one of the cylinders and getting it moving enough for the next to fire. Never saw it happen though.

Do you not think there was a little similarity between BAS and Winston?

And an increase in Winstons posts since BAS left [as I perceive it]

My impression was that Winston trained himself to be aggressive by learning from realBAS's posts. When he started out it was with fairly timid posts but towards the time BAS left they had become 'bolder'. The use of the fake BAS handle on screwfix rather supports that.
If you mean to imply that they are the same person; BAS was a misguided intellectual, whereas you can't say the same about Winston.

I think on the whole that this thread should probably be removed, as it begins to sound like cyber-bullying, and I wouldn't want to be responsible for any bad consequences of that.

Sponsored Links
.... And an increase in Winstons posts since BAS left [as I perceive it]
I'm not so sure about that, given that, when both were here, a substantial proportion of Winston's posts were part of endless dilly exchanges between the two of them.

Kind Regards, John

My impression was that Winston trained himself to be aggressive by learning from realBAS's posts. When he started out it was with fairly timid posts but towards the time BAS left they had become 'bolder'. The use of the fake BAS handle on screwfix rather supports that.
If you mean to imply that they are the same person; BAS was a misguided intellectual, whereas you can't say the same about Winston.

I think on the whole that this thread should probably be removed, as it begins to sound like cyber-bullying, and I wouldn't want to be responsible for any bad consequences of that.
I was a mod on a site some 12 years ago and as such we had sight of details of every post, it's amazing how many of the abusive members shared IP addresses, mods [5] had a discussion and posted several warnings then started deleting multiple identities, most deleted identities very quickly attempted another application. In the end the abuse got far too bad and a decision was made to close the site down.

Didn't it have the distinction of being the only motorbike with a reverse gear?
I rode a motorbike with a reverse gear. I am sure it was not an Arial. I did not own it but could borrow it occasionally. The reverse was good when it was combination (motorbike and sidecar) but not so easy when solo. I used to love the faces of other bikers as I reversed away from the pub. Those were in the good old days before the breathalyzer, as long as you could walk straight you could legally ride or drive. The breathalyzer dates to 1967 and compulsory crash helmets to 1973 and I survived.

One day maybe Winston and George will meet for a meal together.

upload_2020-11-18_7-40-35.png

The breathalyzer dates to 1967 and compulsory crash helmets to 1973 and I survived.

I wore an helmet, even before they were forced upon us. The wear good to limit the noise and keeping your head warm. My dad always wore a black beret on his bikes, why I just don't know - he was constantly having to stop when it blew off and walk back to collect it :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back