What about cars.

Sponsored Links
I don't follow.

It says the red light should, by cyclists, be treated as give way when turning right or going straight on at a T junction when the kerb is continuous - in France so turning left or going straight on.

What difference does the weight of your vehicle have to do with it?

Does this not already apply to motor vehicles turning right in the US?

Sponsored Links
They've got it in Aus I recall. "Left with caution". Works a treat.

Quote from article: "What we want to do is make life easier for the cyclist. Stopping and starting requires energy, and too often it is completely unnecessary. By not having to stop, they can get where they are going more quickly," says Najdoski, who belongs to the Greens.

Indeed it does. But doesn't stopping and starting require even more energy when applied to cars? Surely, the green lobby must have something to say about that, after all we're destroying the planet, aren't we?
So on that basis, shouldn't cars be allowed to go through red traffic lights - assuming it is safe to do so, of course?

The last thing I should want to do is to question the Frogs, but I wonder what would happen if a cyclist ignored a red traffic light and caused an accident. Of course, they are not identifiable like motorists so if they are uninjured they have nothing to fear.

Hang on, didn't the Frogs have a system whereby traffic entering a main road from a side street on the right have right of way?

Hang on again, don't the Frogs have a left wing government?

Does this not already apply to motor vehicles turning right in the US?

It does, and it works perfectly well - you don't have to turn right on a red, and at some junctions where you can't see traffic approaching from the left you are not allowed to turn. Also, the act of overtaking in any lane on a highway/interstate works pretty well too, although cars from the left and right lanes may occasionally try to enter the middle lane at the same time after passing either side of a big truck, which is a bit scary the first time it happens!!

What I don't like over here is the pedestrian crossings where a car will get a green light at the same time that pedestrians will get the 'WALK' signal on the road that the car is turning into, meaning the driver has to be very aware, and yield to the pedestrian because they have the right of way, even though both parties have a 'green light'.

I suppose each and every country will have a few odd road rules that we all find weird to one another.

I suppose the key point is 'with all due care and attention'. That's why it wouldn't work over here. Fine if cyclists want to do it but they can't then complain when they get knocked off by a car.

I suppose the key point is 'with all due care and attention'. That's why it wouldn't work over here. Fine if cyclists want to do it but they can't then complain when they get knocked off by a car.
All well and good, except for the car driver who gets hundreds of pound's worth of paint and panel damage, with fook all chance of getting any of it back.

All well and good, except for the car driver who gets hundreds of pound's worth of paint and panel damage, with fook all chance of getting any of it back.
All the more reason for cyclists to carry identification plates and insurance.

I think it will happen... eventually.

....and probably arrested for dangerous driving.

Sponsored Links
Back