What amp choc block / terminal strip is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've got some choc block I want to use but it doesn't say what amps it is rated for... It does say 450V, and 2.5 square. It's white. And a strip of 12 measures 94mm X 17mm. Any ideas?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Thanks rsgaz. So would make mine good up to 24 amps if I'm reading that right???

In case it helps, here some pics of what I've got.

Cheers

3.JPG
4.JPG
1.JPG
2.JPG

The amp rating, is more a guide not of current rating, but of the cable sizes you can get into them.

Best current rating is achieved by having the wires overlap, rather than rely on the connector to pass the current. If joining two cable poked into the same end, ensure both push in for the full connector and both screws tighten onto both wires. Likewise, if used inline, push cable in so they fully over lap and both screws tighten onto both wires. That minimises the resistance of the connection and prevents in becoming the weak link.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. Very helpful.

The reason I asked about the rating is because it needs to be used to connect a wall light. And there's not much space behind the light so I need to use as small a connector as I can. So do you think this is ok to use for a wall light?

Cheers

Thanks for that. Very helpful.

The reason I asked about the rating is because it needs to be used to connect a wall light. And there's not much space behind the light so I need to use as small a connector as I can. So do you think this is ok to use for a wall light?

Cheers

Yes!

But I would use one much smaller.

Contradicting yourself? The amp rating, is more a guide not of current rating, but of the cable sizes you can get into them.

Actually, no..

..and overload protection is essential for all components on a circuit, even one wall light..

Actually, no.. ..and overload protection is essential for all components on a circuit, even one wall light..
I think it is more-or-less a semantic issue ...

... no type of lamp/bulb (and incandescent are obviously the 'worst' in this respect) is really capable of creating an "overload" in the normal sense (a moderate increase in current beyond the In of the OPD) - and therefore, per regs, probably do not need 'overload protection'.

When bulbs/lmps (primarily incandescent) die, they can result in very brief and extremely high currents - in practical terms approaching a 'fault of negligible impedance', and therefore really requiring 'fault protection', not overload protection. I'm sure that we have all experienced MCBs tripping 'instantly' (almost certainly magnetically) when an incandescent bulb has died, thereby indicating that the fault protection (as required by regs) is adequate.

Kind Regards, John

I think it is more-or-less a semantic issue ...

... no type of lamp/bulb (and incandescent are obviously the 'worst' in this respect) is really capable of creating an "overload" in the normal sense (a moderate increase in current beyond the In of the OPD) - and therefore, per regs, probably do not need 'overload protection'.

When bulbs/lmps (primarily incandescent) die, they can result in very brief and extremely high currents - in practical terms approaching a 'fault of negligible impedance', and therefore really requiring 'fault protection', not overload protection. I'm sure that we have all experienced MCBs tripping 'instantly' (almost certainly magnetically) when an incandescent bulb has died, thereby indicating that the fault protection (as required by regs) is adequate.

Kind Regards, John

I was taking issue with the 'protection probably not needed' at all.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back