Single phase question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I've now purchased my 10 mains downlights. The instructions are not very good at all. The wires from the light to the small choc block are double insulated thus me not needing to earth.

The question i have is that i phoned the shop back up and stated that the choc block didn't say which of the wires was live and which was neutral, they stated that it doesn't matter because they are single phase and so therefore either one could be live and neutral. Is this right?

Secondly my other point is this.
If either one could be live and neutral does that mean that if you have got a row of these lights do you not have to have all of the neutrals going to one side of the choc block on every side and all of the lives going to the choc block on every side?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If they where low votage it doesnt matter but i have never come across that on main spots, if you pull the slevin back they should be diffrent slev's. i think??? thats what i think

? are theses lights low voltage ie 12v, you can tell this if there is a transformer with the set of lights, also the shop says it does not matter if the are reversed, lights should always be switchable from the live side if a bulb blows and the live is still on the fitting because the neutral was the switchable side and no earth on the fitting it is not safe, you could easyly touch the live on the fitting. hope this helps

Sponsored Links
No they are def mains lights GU10. They state that single phase means that live and neutral can go in either side of the choc block

sorry just reread you quarry wire all the lights up the 6amp or 10amp junction box depending on the fuse check the wattage of the bulbs 10 x 40 watts = 400 watts make sure it will not overload the citcuit.

onesongrg said:
? are theses lights low voltage ie 12v, you can tell this if there is a transformer with the set of lights, also the shop says it does not matter if the are reversed, lights should always be switchable from the live side if a bulb blows and the live is still on the fitting because the neutral was the switchable side and no earth on the fitting it is not safe, you could easyly touch the live on the fitting. hope this helps
Please think about this for a second. How on earth does reversing the connections on a luminaire mean that the switch moves from live to neutral?

andemz said:
No they are def mains lights GU10. They state that single phase means that live and neutral can go in either side of the choc block
Of course they can. The only time it matters is with screw fittings (ES etc), when you should ensure that the live goes to the centre terminal, not the outside screw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back