What amp choc block / terminal strip is this?

Sponsored Links
EFLI wrote ...

"... overload protection is probably not needed..."

He did not suggest, and I am sure would not have suggested, that 'no protection at all' was needed.

Kind Regards, John

I have edited since that quoted text. Sorry I was retuning the TV and trying to post..

I have edited since that quoted text. Sorry I was retuning the TV and trying to post..
Fair enough, but even after your edit you still write ...
I was taking issue with the 'protection probably not needed' at all.
... i.e. you still persist in adding that "at all", which EFLI was not saying or implying. He was saying that overload protection was 'probably not needed', but I'm sure he acknowledges that fault protection is needed (indeed, required as a condition of omitting overload protection, per BS7671).

Kind REgards, John

Sponsored Links
It was in reply to this: ....<....>.... Perhaps I should not have included 'probably'.
I'm not so sure, particularly given that Harry has thanked me for pointing out that the 'no protection at all' was his invention, not what you had previously written (which, unless I'm mistaken, was saying that overload protection would probably not be required, although {even though you did not say this explicitly} fault protection certainly would).

Kind Regards, John

Not sure I understand exactly -

although Harry said there was probably a 6A MCB (most unusual if not) so it does have overload and fault protection, but overload of less than 6A would not be required for a connector as one light cannot draw that much or, vice versa, that a connector block must be at least 6A .

I am not sure if connector blocks come in less than 5A anyway.

Not sure I understand exactly - although Harry said there was probably a 6A MCB (most unusual if not) so it does have overload and fault protection, but overload of less than 6A would not be required for a connector as one light cannot draw that much or, vice versa, that a connector block must be at least 6A .
It's getting confusing! ...

... an uncleared fault current (i.e. if adequate fault protection were not in place) due to a fault in the vicinity of the light could be considerably more than 6A.
I am not sure if connector blocks come in less than 5A anyway.
Indeed. In the dim and distant past, I recall ones called "2A", but I'm not convinced that they were any smaller than the ones now sold as "5A". However, as you imply, it's very many years since I last saw one described as less than 5A.

Kind Regards, John

... an uncleared fault current (i.e. if adequate fault protection were not in place) due to a fault in the vicinity of the light could be considerably more than 6A.
It could but that would not be overload - so has nothing to do with my original point.

It could but that would not be overload - so has nothing to do with my original point.
Agreed - but as I said at the start of all this, back in post #14, it's almost a question of semantics - since the only sort of 'very high excessive current' a single lamp/bulb could bring about would be, to-all-intents-and purposes, a 'fault current' (i.e. due to a fault of {more-or-less} negligible impedance - such as an arc through plasma).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back