What amp mcb's ( Please )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am purchasing a split load consumer unit ( 5+5 ) and would like any advise on what amp mcb's to get ( most popular? ), the current outdated fuse box has a 5 - 15 - and two 30amp fuses, should i get a couple of 6's, 16's and 32's and a 40 for the shower and the rest of an assortment or are there any that are more used than others that i should get. BTW whoever put our shower in has wired it closest to the main switch to a 30amp fuse ( shower is 8.5kw = 36.95A, i believe )and also forgot one important piece of equipment,an RCD :eek:
Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
it depends on what you have and are going to have as to which size mcbs you get, obviously the lights should be on 6A, sockets on 30/ 32A pthers depend on what you have

Who ever installed your shower did the best they could as the most common fuse wire available is 30A (least it was) and you should always have the highest fuse / mcb closest to the main switch.

only thing is who is going to fit it for you? as it is ilegal for you (DIY) to touch the supply companies fuse, which MUST be removed in order to change a consumers unit.

Supply companies are a bit fussy who touches the fuse, you should get an electrician in to do it for you, he will then arange for your supply company to check it and re seal the fuse.

But there is nothing to say that you can not get everthing ready for your electrian.

I will be paying an electrictian to fit it ( he is a friend of the family ) the mcbs will be for the lights, sockets, and shower basically and maybe one to goto the shed at a later date..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back