What are my options to fix this faulty switch? Pics included

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The bathroom pull cord has fallen of the ceiling as the ceiling appears to be rotten. There dosn't seem to be any joists underneath it, so it was screwed into the plaster.

P1030264.jpg

The wire goes into a junction box made with terminal block and insulation tape (1980 :( ), I don't want to touch this so replacing the cable and moving the switch is not really an option.

What is the best way of fixing this legally?

Edit I have not had a look at this probably yet, the pic was taken with my SLR, but does that wire appear to be 1mm T&E as it thick enough? I am sure it is PVC.

Sponsored Links
Looks like it may have had one solid screw fixing it, and that has pulled through the brittle back box hole

I've just had a look and there is two other screws inside the switch which have pulled from the ceiling.

can you get at the upper side of the ceiling, from the loft?

Sponsored Links
I can do but not that easily but it is certainly possible if thats the only way to doing it. I thought about joining a new wire and moving it, but that requires use of a junction box which would be against the regs as there would be no access to it, and I am not going to attempt soldering especialy in the loft.

cut a lump of timber which is a close fit between the joists, drill a large hole in it that the wire will go through.

Disconnect the light switch, screw or nail the lump of wood between the joists so the hole is above where the wire goes, and the wood is tight to the plasterboard.

poke the wire through the hole, reconnect the switch, screw the switch through the plaster into the lump of wood.

Those toggles though, have a disadvantage in that if the switch is unscrewed in the future, for decorating or whatever, you would 'lose' the spring part of it in the loft void. Those screw in plasterboard plugs are better and very strong also, although I doubt would suffice here due to the condition of the ceiling in that area as they are quite gruesome when being screwed in.
I would say the Johnd option is best. And if you can't fit the wooden baten in between two joists, put a smaller piece of wood in position, and have someone in the loft hold it while you screw into it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back