Bathroom light switch - can you fix it?

I've borrowed an electric pen tester from a friend which glows red when a live feed is detected.

Methinks it's a volt stick, but I'd like the OP to confirm it's non-contact please!

Still dangerous in the way that they can fail to detect a live cable and as Bernard says. If you were to be sitting on a water pipe and accidentally came into contact with a live wire in the loft, well you may not be climbing down the ladder.

Sponsored Links
It is a volt stick (glows neon red) but I've given it back now. So I need a mains tester instead, right? The more this goes on, the more I'm thinking it's time for professional help - i.e. I need a qualified electrician! With all the right equipment, I reckon this job should take little more than 10 mins to sort out. But, that's the problem, it's hard to get hold of anyone to do a 10 minute job!

HI,

Could one of the Reds be a neutral? and other be a live?
Then the T&E from the fitting could be a single run back to the old PIR with the Blue from twin and the red in the same terminal (Neutral) and then one red to the Live Supply and the Brown to the Live Load. There appears to be no earth for from the two single reds.

Sorry if this has been said.

Cheers
Jake

rather than unboarding the loft, it may be worth dropping the light fitting, there may be access to some joins behind it and at least you may be able to pull the wire gently and see if it goes to the switch.
Best to isolate the circuit at the fuse before doing so just in case

EDIT
Forget that just realised that picture is above the light and its above the switch you have no access

Sponsored Links
I have already advised the OP TWICE to turn all the electricity off before going in the loft to avoid inadvertant contact.

Similarly, I have warned that the device may show dead when actually the cable is live.

:rolleyes:

diydiv

Have you checked the lamp works?

Looks like you'll need either a spark or a multimeter and you may have to bite the bullet and lift a few loift boards too.... :cry:

I have already advised the OP TWICE to turn all the electricity off before going in the loft to avoid inadvertant contact.

:rolleyes:

And i was on about before taking the light down, although its irrelovant now as the pic is of above the light

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :)

Thanks again, everyone, for your ongoing assistance. I might be a few days sorting this one - getting the boards up in the loft is not going to be quite so easy as it sounds. By the way, yes, the light bulb is functioning (when it's not in the light fitting).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back