Bathroom light switch - can you fix it?

Sponsored Links
Or, to be entirely accurate (not to mention toe-curlingly anal), where the cables are both going to and coming from.

Sponsored Links
Could it be that the two grey sheathed wires are the live and neutral and the twin and earth goes directly two the fitting.
Hard to tell without being on site with a tester.

Have you done what was suggested and put the red and brown wires into the same terminal (leaving the blue one taped up)?

Hi, yep, tried that last night - still nothing. But I've borrowed an electric pen tester from a friend which glows red when a live feed is detected. This will solve my problem won't it? I'll be able to identify which one of those two reds is the live.

Well they're not infallible... ;)

Certainly if they read dead, don't grab hold of it...

OK, thanks for that piece of advice - much appreciated. I'll do the test and (assuming I'm still alive) give you a shout before I embark on the next stage of this exciting odyssey into the unknown.

Right, I've located the live feed with the pen tester. It's one of the reds (in the grey cable). Oddly, it doesn't detect live in the brown - only that one red. So how should I now proceed?

I'm wondering if the two reds are feed ans switched live, and the twin is a neutral and spare, and has been put in to provide the passive with a neutral by someone that didn't have any singles. ;)

I'm wondering if the two reds are feed ans switched live, and the twin is a neutral and spare, and has been put in to provide the passive with a neutral by someone that didn't have any singles. ;)
I think you could be right. That rings a bell somehow. I remember when we moved into this place that an electrician mentioned something along those lines. So now that I've (apparently) identified the live, can you remind me which wire goes where in the switch - i.e. which goes into the common and which into L2 (the L1 terminal is empty - no brass bits in it).

That seems logical captain, but the light don't come on when those conductors are put together.

Is the light fitting working?

Put an independent supply to it & see if it lights up (disconnect the L&N first, but not the cpc).

Good question - I hadn't thought of that - the light fitting might not be working. I'm being dim again now, sorry, but how would I put an independent supply to it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back