Bathroom Extractor Fan Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing a 'run on timer' fan with three terminals. Brown to L, Grey to N and Black to ST. My new 'PIR sensor' fan only has two terminals L and N. Do I wire it the same as before and not connect the black wire? The light switch outside the bathroom used to turn on the a separate light and the old fan.

Sponsored Links
If you want it to operate solely by the PIR, then yes, that is correct.
Thank you. If I want the fan to be on 'standby' from the light switch and then turn on from motion, would I need to wire it differently or is that not possible?

Sponsored Links
If I walk in the bathroom, the PIR sensor will start the fan. Is there a way of stopping the fan from starting up, if I've not already the pressed the light switch? The switch used to turn on the light and the old fan. Now I want it to turn on the light and turn on the PIR sensor. Hope that makes sense?

If you want it to operate only when the switch is on, then connect L to the black wire. Brown is not used.

However then it's pointless having the PIR, as the fan will only work when someone turns on the light, and it will go off as soon as the light is switched off.

If I walk in the bathroom, the PIR sensor will start the fan. Is there a way of stopping the fan from starting up, if I've not already the pressed the light switch?
Yes, do away with the PIR.

The switch used to turn on the light and the old fan. Now I want it to turn on the light and turn on the PIR sensor. Hope that makes sense?
No, it doesn't make sense.

Thank you both. I'll probably just stick with the PIR option and have the fan start every time someone enters the bathroom. The switch will now just control the light. I know I should have gone for another timer fan but the PIR version was super cheap. Lesson learned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back