extractor fan replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've replaced an inline extractor fan but the timer won't work I followed the old wiring which was

permanent live =brown
switched live =black
neutral = grey

on the new fan I've put the grey in N
and tried the black in LT and brown in L and swapped them round but can only get the fan to work when the light turns on.
any ideas?
20200501_141011.jpg

Sponsored Links
Have you adjusted the Timer at all? Might need a Tweak with a screwdriver?

Sponsored Links
A. If you have them the wrong way round, it should work as you say - only when the light is on.

B. If you then swap them and it does the same, then the timer is faulty.

C. If it runs all the time - longer than the timer maximum - then the timer is faulty.

You seem to be saying that both B and C are the case; this is not possible.

I've come down now and cleared away, but when the black was in the L terminal it would only turn off with the isolation switch, I swapped the brown and black and it now turns off with the light switch but adjusting the timer wont increase the time so I'm beginning to think its faulty

What make is this?

I've recently had two identical in-line fans, and they would only work when the light was on, the timer function did not work.

I ended up buying a different make in the end, which worked fine, and proved the wiring was ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back