What are the fire regulations when charging an electric car?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have seen mobile phones go on fire and planes go on fire and cars go on fire due to battery faults, so I would assume there is a minimum distance that a car can be parked to a dwelling while being charged.

I know for caravans
West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service said:
A minimum distance of 6 metres should be maintained between other units in separate family occupation, and not less than 3 metres between units in any circumstances. Vehicles and ancillary equipment is permitted within the 6 metres space but 3 metres clear space should always be maintained to restrict fire spread.

So would assume at least 3 meters, maybe 6 meters, but can't find anything for cars only caravans.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
If there were, that would pretty much preclude any home charging in any dwelling other than huge mansions with large drives - which would stop the roll-out of electric cars in its tracks. I have two chargers on the front of my house.

ICE cars can also catch fire whilst parked on a drive/in a garage - hence building regs stipulations for accommodation above garages,

Also note the phrase "other units in separate family occupation" -i.e. distance from some OTHER family's caravan etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back