What cable can I use in this scenario?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large building that is being converted into a pair of semis by building timber frame structures inside it. I requested a new power supply from the DNO and they suggested to install a 3 phase supply to the lobby of the building, then split it so that 2 phases were used for the dwellings and a third for common areas (lighting etc) making metering etc easier

So now I have the red duct in the ground, the cable is installed and jointed, terminated on a service head on the meter board all to their spec

As preparation for the supply to the CUs, I ran more ducting from the board, along the edge of a foundation trench that runs around the edge of the lobby and brought it up just inside the front wall of the houses, on the centre line of the party wall, the intention being that a cable (meter tails) could be run through it and brought up into the houses and connected to a consumer unit. This duct is about 5 metres long

I'm in a position with the progress of the timber frame where it would be wise (to make the electrician's life easier) if I were to leave some cable lying in this duct/sticking out both ends, ready for him to connect up if that's the route he chooses. What I'd like to know is; what cable would be suitable for use as meter tails in this scenario?

ps; the distance from where my meter is to where I'd like my consumer unit, is about 10 metres. The distance to where the owner of the other semi wants his consumer unit is about 15 metres. Space on the meter board for a cutout has been provisioned due to the length of the tails

Sponsored Links
You require an electrician to design and specify your system.

Kind regards,

DS

Be aware you have to wire these supplies on a submain, being in excess of 2/3 metres away from the meter.

Sponsored Links
Be aware you have to wire these supplies on a submain, being in excess of 2/3 metres away from the meter.
If one assumes that "cutout" means switch-fuse, it seems that the OP probably realises this ...
... Space on the meter board for a cutout has been provisioned due to the length of the tails
However, as has been said, he clearly needs an electrician to specify and design these installations.

Kind Regards, John

You require an electrician to design and specify your system.

Kind regards,

DS

Are you an electrician? Would you please design and specify this one small aspect of the system, such that I can purchase some cable and fit it now and any competent spark will be a) happy with the cable and b) happy that I've made his life easier by pre-fitting it while I had the party wall cavity openly accessible

I do plan to have a spark do the lot (my private BI isn't interested in going the EICR route, only EIR) but right now, the panel guys want to finish the party wall by standing up a panel that will encase the cable entry point.. and I do realise you guys could turn around and say "so, get your spark up and get him to spec something - it's nothing to do with us" but then again that could apply to every single notifiable query raised here

25mm² 3 core SWA.

Thanks RF. Would it need to go in a duct within the party wall? I'm mindful of the fact that the cavity is insulated, so it may be prudent to duct it to ensure the cables are not wrapped in insulation.. I could also connect the ducting to the outside world for airflow.

The cable would always be 100mm+ deep into the wall structure until the point it needs to come through the wall and into the CU

You should be asking your electrician this.

What does he say?

It's true, and I'll try and get him to site to take a look. Thing is, he hasn't been appointed yet so I'm not 100% certain who it will be or whether a prospective quoting spark would be prepared to comment on what he'd like to see ahead of being given he job

I realise that there are far more optimal build orders/this is a bit of an oversight in the schedule - it's been a complex build so far and wrinkles such as this have occasionally arisen. This is how I'm trying to sort this one out - to seek advice from people qualified to tell me

It might be best to speak to the framers and see if they can leave that last panel of the party wall off until a decision is made by the spark who'll do the job but no harm in covering all options

Just be sure to install ducting at least 50 mm diameter, without any joins or gaps. Continuous. And no tight bends. This way alterations can be carried out.

Remember you can leave a draw wire in it if you can't get any cable on time.

and cap the ends of the ducting until the cable is in place. One bit of gravel in the duct can jam a cable and thus prevent it being pulled into the duct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back