What are the splash marks on my new plaster?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all.

Need some help as fast as possible please. Been reading the forum on all the tips about painting new plaster and they have worked a treat in 3 rooms in the house I am doing up.

But struck a massive problem tonight. Applied a mist coat on Saturday to another room and noticed a lot of splash marks and runs on the plaster. Didn't think a lot about it and put the mist coat (diluted Supermatt) on. Put another coat of supermatt on (20%) dilution and it just isn't adhering to the splash marks.

Worse still it is coating all around them as normal and the wall is rapidly resembling a moon scape! :eek:

What is it and more importantly what should I do? Wash it all back to base plaster and start again? Wash it down - sand off the paint?

All suggestions welcomed - got the bathroom installers starting next Monday?

Cheers

David

Sponsored Links
It's PVA used by the plasterer or he has polished the surface too smooth and the brush/roller is sliding across the surface.

Apply a coat of cheap oil based primer over the troublesome spots and try again.

cheers

pretty convinced its PVA - it looks like its splashed on and it is slightly sticky.

there is absolutely loads of it - we're not talking a few drips but heavy splashes of it from the ceiling to the floor - do I need to oil prime all of it!!

or get the plasterer back to sort it?
thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like PVA runs, brush over with some diluted oilbase undercoat, but if some of the long runs have blobs or heads on the end, you would have to scrape them off, or give a rub down

After oilbase UC is dry, emulsion as normal, the stains wont bleed through. :D .

thanks everybody for your help.

had to go with a combination of oil based UC and a lot of rubbing down as there was so much of it around.

will get the emulsion on tonight. only 4 days behind schedule now :rolleyes:

thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back