What are these and how do I get rid of them!!! (Drain larvae?) (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,
Not a nice post but one that has me baffled.
We have 6 toilets. 1 downstairs. 4 on middle floor and 1 on the top floor.
It’s a 7 year old house. No water tank in loft etc. Always clean. No animals in house.
The top floor toilet, one of the middle floor and the downstairs one all share the same waste pipe.
Over the last couple of months we’ve started to get some disgusting little worms ONLY in the top floor toilet. Nowhere else. Not once in the toilets that share the same waste pipe. It all started back in October when we came back from a ten day holiday when we first found them (again) ONLY in the top floor toilet. Since then they reappear every few weeks. We have a cleaner and toilets are cleaned regularly.
After the holiday, I wondered if it was some sort of stagnant water related issue but their return doesn’t make sense as the upstairs loo is our bedroom en-suite so is regularly used. The 4 middle floor toilets are rarely used but have never had anything appear.
Does anyone know where they come from? What they are? How we get rid of them for good? It seems odd they are only at the top of the house where I’d imagine anything has the furthest to travel plus it’s farthest from the drains/sewers etc.
We bleached heavily everyday and thought they’d gone but they have reappeared a couple of times which suggests they are in the system somehow somewhere and the minute we stop pouring litres of bleach down the loo they’ll keep coming back. It is freaking my wife out and turning her stomach!
Any help/ideas gratefully received!
Thanks
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_6945.jpeg
    IMG_6945.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 136
Sponsored Links
You get those when you have too many toilets in a house.

Ah thanks. That’s what it is

I’ll see if there are any other possible explanations before I start removing toilets!

Sponsored Links
Hi Madrab

Hmm. What would that look like? There are no visible pipes anywhere. Everything is boxed in with no access panels etc…

ok, i don’t know who is who but all I was saying was that the original poster stating it’s caused by too many toilets was hopefully joking. Not JohnD

I have no knowledge of drain flies, but in some cases water-living larvae that breathe air from the surface can be drowned by traces of detergent, or suffocated by a tiny drop of oil.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back