What are these?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I’ve got what I think are unused gas pipes in my living room. I’ve ripped the floor up and the floor had been modified where these lie.

They are going in the direction of the old gas connection in the garden, unsure about where they are going and why theirs 2, I’m assuming gas but want to try and gather some more info / potential job cost etc before making any arrangements.. so if anyone can offer any advice, cheers!

Attachments

• 39F995A2-B3A5-47F2-B51E-4430C5F4CDDD.jpeg
    39F995A2-B3A5-47F2-B51E-4430C5F4CDDD.jpeg
    316.8 KB · Views: 182
Sponsored Links
They are steel threaded pipes - often used to be used for gas. But sometimes were to carry water.
A pic of where they leave the wall on the other side might help for further advice.
But why not contact a local plumber and show the plumber what you've posted on here - if its a case of a straight removal then you might be in for £100 for the call out and work?

They are steel threaded pipes - often used to be used for gas. But sometimes were to carry water.
A pic of where they leave the wall on the other side might help for further advice.
But why not contact a local plumber and show the plumber what you've posted on here - if its a case of a straight removal then you might be in for £100 for the call out and work?

Cheers.... straight into the ground so no sign of them in the back garden... all I know the old gas line was at the back before it got upgraded... pain in the bum that’s all it is, appreciate the reply as water has been mentioned too

Sponsored Links
Water suggests because there are two pipes whereas gas is typically entering a property in a single pipe - but who knows. Get a plumber in to have a look.
Any digging and costs rise but a qualified person would remove a cap to check the contents.

Last edited:
straight into the ground so no sign of them in the back garden

So you can't see any part of the pipework outside or anywhere else? Just the bits in your photo?

Yep, afraid so, that’s why I’m intrigued ha

You might need to do a bit of digging yourself to see if you can find where they come through the wall on the outside.

No one will be able to tell what they are by looking at what you have shown in your picture.

Perhaps you might also suggest that the OP erect a scaffold in his kitchen - on the chance it might be needed sometime?
What if the outside near the wall was a concrete or brick path, prized roses - should the OP set to digging & perhaps hit upon a live, decayed, metal gas pipe?
Whereas a plumber could simply isolate the gas and water, remove the caps, check a few more variables, and only then decide if digging is needed.

Photos as "Heads Up" are nowadays seen as a very common practice to people experienced in the building trades.
They are to give an idea of what the job is, or even if the trades person wants the job - saves wear & tear & time.
A picture being worth a thousand words - like some who post on here, householders often struggle to describe their dilemmas whereas a pic will often nail it.

I would have thought that you would already know that? Anyway, you do now.

I would have thought that you would already know that?

Calm down Bob or Ted, oh no it's Tel this week. The number of accounts on this site says it all really.

I'll try to be more civil and not so downright rude.

What caps? The pipe comes in and, using bends, goes into the floor. Can you point out the caps to me? It is threaded steel and there is nowhere to disconnect any of that internally, at least where the photo shows. It needs cut out after identifying that they are not live by looking elsewhere.

Just in case you missed it though, where are the caps?

Why would you need a scaffold?

Thanks for the other replies lol

a friend after seeing the photo and a bit of research it looks like it’s water pipes which is a bit of a shock and a bit of a pain as I’m guessing they are still in use.... I just wanted an idea of what it may be and what I could potentially be looking at. Appreciate the replies!

Jibh82,
Once you are certain that they are still active (in use) water pipes then, after due precautions, you should think about perhaps abandoning them?
Then run a new plastic or copper pipe installation in the house.
Could be that you also need to change the external water service pipe from steel to plastic?

Steel pipe buried in concrete or soil will decay and leak, & the ID bore will shrink with contaminants.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back