what are those things that hold posts off the ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I want to put two posts up in the garden to hold a big bit of shed roof/porch up. I want to use probably 6" x 6" posts and I have seen these things before that look like a galvanised plate with a rod coming off them which you cement in. This enable you to keep the post off the ground an inch or two but still support it. They are not those brown Metposts fixing you see and in any case I am not sure Metpost go that big.

Does anyone know what they are called and where you can get them from please.

Any info appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Try asking Builder center or Travis P's or someone like that, should have one in your area!

B&Q do something like that, in the timber connectors section (not the same section as the fencing and metposts) You might need a bigger B&Q though, and I'm not sure what sizes they go upto.

You could probably mock your own up by drilling out the post end, and inserting 12mm threaded rod with a few square washers along the length, held in place with nuts.

Sponsored Links
I'd be more inclined to go for a T shaped plate - i.e. two squares of steel one welded to the other along the middle - you then cut a notch in the bottom of your posts and bolt through and anchor the other plate into concrete using ground anchors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back