Bracing a Fence Post?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A few weeks ago I erected a garden fence between mine and my neighbours back gardens. My fence runs the length of the garden ending with a large ledged and braced gate that I've attached to the house.

The post that the gate latches to (i.e. end thats not on the house) wasn't sunk to the full length of the metpost as being between a shared access alley and my patio, the ground was full of rubble and cement. Due to this the post is a tiny bit wobbly.

I've tried to improve this by adding another inch of mortar around the metpost, but its still not perfect. Is there a better solution to strengthening this post than my temporary brace? If a brace is the way to go, what's the tidiest and strongest method?

Cheers,
Martin

Sponsored Links
are you saying that you hung a gate on a fence post that is secured by a hammer in met post?

Met posts are poor at for even a low fence but are totally unsuitable for a gate post. You need to remove it and resecure these in concrete. Sorry for the bad news.

No, the gate hinges to a post secured to the house and carries all the weight of the gate.

The post in question is used to latch the other side of the gate, as seen in the picture

Sponsored Links
It's just my observation, that brace where it is, seems to be a
trip hazard.
You should really try to dig the gate post hole deeper, hire a Kango hammer, and persevere till you can get a good depth for the post, then concret it in, seems a nice job other than that.

Wotan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back