Fencing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I've had a few quotes for fitting fencing around my garden.
Garden

Left 54 ft
Gate Bit 15 ft
Right 44 ft

I've been getting quotes ranging from 3k-5k! Which is well outside my price range. I've decided that I have no option but to do it myself (along with my brother in law). I have settled for panels although not ideal there is a good deal at a local timber merchants and they look pretty sturdy. I have attached a picture of my calculations for materials and was just wondering if I'm correct. I have never attempted anything like this before and obviously don't want to be missing anything. I've also attached some links for some of the materials.

Panels

https://www.eglantinetimber.com/fencing-trellis/fence-panels/tanascreen-panel.html

Gate

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/tongue-and-groove-ledged-and-braced-gate-1-8m-265782

Gravel Boards

http://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/gravel-board-6ft-265500

https://www.eglantinetimber.com/fen...te-posts/moulded-post-2-4m-x-90mm-x-90mm.html

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    224.4 KB · Views: 151
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 146
Sponsored Links
Whereabouts do you live? Are around London by any chance?

Rough rule of thumb is £50 per metre for closeboard(feather edge) fencing. By my reckoning you're in for around 1800 quid for the fence.

For the gate, make one yourself, you can buy better quality sturdier wood for similar money to off the shelf gates from high street sellers.

You will need almost two bags of postcrete per hole. You could get a delivery of semi cdry concrete instead but will realistically have to set all posts at one time together and this is more risky for a beginner.

You will probably find a post rail and boarded fence slightly cheaper. Are you in Northern ireland?

The B&M panels look good, but expensive, but the gravel boards not so great. But why aren't you using concrete posts and gravel boards.

The materials prices look okay, but that means they want about £1800 -£3800 for the labour, and at about 6 to 8 man days, that's a lot; but I make Ironsidbods rule of thumb to be £2200.

You could use 1 bag of postcrete per hole to get the posts in and upright, and then put in the semi dry concrete the next day, but either way make sure you raise whichever "crete" you use, up towards the wooden posts so that there's no earth around them. Whilst treated wood is rot resitant, it's not rot proof, and will eventially go of if in constant contact with the earth; hence why concrete gravel boards are better.

Sponsored Links
Go to a building/timber merchant it will be much cheaper. Where about's in NI are you based?

I would certainly go for concrete posts. I am personally using recessed concrete posts with timber rails.

+1 for the concrete. If you like it to blend in with the stained timber, you can use "bitter chocolate" masonry paint, which will last at least ten years before needing repainting (apply 2 well-thinned mist coats because it is very absorbent)

It also prolongs the life of the concrete by reducing rainwater penetration, especially on the tops.

View media item 975

Thanks for all the replies. I'm based in Whiteabbey just outside Belfast. I would prefer concrete posts to be honest as they seem a lot sturdier and wouldn't have to worry about rot. The problem is it is just me and I'm not great at diy so it's just trying g to figure out the cheapest option without scrimping on quality

you might find a cheaper supplier; you will be buying a fair number. This sort of thing will probably come from an unsophisticated concrete foundry.

You will want help carrying them to the right place, then you can dig and lift them by one end on your own, if necessary.

Check out murdock in Belfast. (http://www.murdockbuildersmerchants.com/) It might be a bit cheaper. Personally not got much from there, but worth checking out. Even just phone them and get some prices.

Regarding wooden posts, you dont need moulded ones, do you? They are considerably more expensive than standard 4x4 posts. If concrete, def price around.

If you have straight posts, then you need a bracket of some sort to fix the panels to the posts. With the slotted posts, you'll still need some stainless steel screws to secure the panels, otherwise they'll rattle in the wind.

We don't really get slotted concrete posts here for whatever reason. A normal 4'' 8ft concrete post from a builders merchant will be about £12 or so. Eglantine is not a bad place to buy stuff if you can get a trade price, they do a healthy 15% discount for most stuff. Get a price from lowdens in duncrue and then see if you can get eglantine to match it etc.

You dont need moulded posts they are planed and eased smooth for use in decking etc. A normal 4'' 8ft timber post from a builders merchant will be about £5+VAT

I am a big lump at 6'5 and do this for a living and i can just about manage to erect concrete 5x5'' 8ft posts on my own. As i said we dont get slotted ones here which are much smaller and lighter than whats available in NI. Concrete posts are hard work and hugely more expensive if you have a long run of them.

I would consider a boarded fence, it will be cheaper and stronger and its less technically difficult to install as post centres dont matter so much. You can push centres out to 7ft if doing a post and rail fence and you can tart them up using a capping piece etc. You also dont need a gravel board with a boarded fence and if you need anti dig protections for dogs etc then you can put a kicker board on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back