Reducing fence panel length

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have hired someone to put up a new fence. We’ve asked for 5 ft 6 inch panels with 6 inch gravel boards and 1 ft trellis. Our gardener has said that he can’t easily acquire the 5 ft 6 inch panels so he’s suggesting cutting a 6 ft panel to size. Can anyone tell me if that’s wise or could it be problematic with regards to the integrity and strength of the panels? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why 5'6"?
Generally panels and gravel boards are not cut, but the posts are planted in the correct position for the panels.
You can cut panels, but it is a lot of work to cut them all.
Most people just cut the end one and don't generally worry about the centre bar no longer being central

Sponsored Links
Why 5'6"?
Generally panels and gravel boards are not cut, but the posts are planted in the correct position for the panels.
You can cut panels, but it is a lot of work to cut them all.
Most people just cut the end one and don't generally worry about the centre bar no longer being central

We were told the maximum height you can have is 7 ft. So 5 ft 6 inch high panels, plus 6 inch gravel boards plus 1 ft trellis equals the 7 ft maximum. I hope!

Not at all. I thought that was the norm for a 6’ high fence. Didn’t know they did fence panels in heights other than whole feet. I also thought 6’ was the max height and trellis didn't count towards the height but it may be different in your area.

Think the op is on about 5'6" high panels..
Oops!

I have five feet panels on 12" concrete gravel boards that are half buried in the ground due to being on a slight incline . Then arched trellis that is 12" high at each end but about 18" in the middle

hows about gravel board cut in half as 75mm 1828 panel and 200mm trellis made from 19x38mm tile baton

as an aside
the easy way to reduce a fence panel
6ft 19x38 tile baton knot free and strait
place on the bottom off the panel on the side where bottom rail is full width clamp in the exact spot required
mark each upright both top and bottom edges
drill a 3mm pilot hole 50mm deep at all overlaps and use a 4x45mm turbogold or similar
handsaw or osscilating saw cut on the top surface through the uprights
one at a time remove the screw remove the upright timbers and replace the screw before going to the next
cut along the bottom edge off the new baton to cutoff the excess
rotate and reuse the old or use new short timbers between the uprights on the other side

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back