Metposts (I know...)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know no one is a fan of metposts (me neither)

I have a fence built in to a wall which has used cemented in metposts to secure the posts. I now have a wobbly fence with secure metposts but rotten wood sitting in them.

I know the answer is not to have done it like this in the first place. However, any tips for removing posts from metposts. Some the wood seems good, one or two rotten posts, I'm hoping to replace all the posts so is removing a rotten one different from a sound one?

Will the metpost once I've got the wood out still reliably hold a new post?

All help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Metaposts have there uses, I'm not a fan of using them for fencing but I do have a shed that is constructed of posts set in MP's and loovred panels in between , no floor and is just used to store timber.
Anyhoo, to remove the timber from a metapost use a HSS drill in a power drill to bore out as much as possible and work the rest out with an old chisel or even a screwdriver
Is removing a rotten one different to removing a non rotten post? If it is rotten it will be easier and the timber can sometimes be soft enough to pull out by hand .
Also removal gives you a good oportunatey to repaint the metapost.

Well had to take 6 out. Took a whole day! Combination of drilling, chiselling, swearing, and burning of the last one.

Not fun!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back