What are your recommendations on good wood protection?

Fair comment.

My experience is equally anecdotal.

From memory, I suspect that the larger walls were 7m as well. I have just remembered that the property was detached and had a garage and alley as well.

Apropos pricing, my impression is that Tuin seems cheaper but only because they then whack loads of extra charges on top (eg guttering, floors, etc).

One thing that struck me as being odd is that Tuin, unlike Tiger, recommend that you use the supplied tanilised timber around the perimeter of the building rather than using it to span from one wall to the opposite wall.

Given that most of them in the UK will be constructed on concrete slabs, I would imagine that airflow under the floor is pretty important. Tuin's set up doesn't allow for airflow under the floor.

That said, I am not an expert in this area and am happy to be corrected by someone who knows more about log cabins.

Sponsored Links
I've had good results with Barretine's Premier Wood Preservative (which comes in clear - it really has a *very* slightly reddish hue to it), followed by their Decking Oil (typically doing a few coats of the preservative, followed by the oil).
What I like is that they are all solvent based, and really do seem to penetrate the wood, versus most water based stains which seem to mostly sit on top :(

Not come across that one, thanks.

The other one I was recommended was Osmo. Seems to work slightly differently to some of the others.

And yes, products that penetrate are definitely best. Need to stretch with the wood etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back