What base for a paving block mowing strip?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to create a single paving block mowing strip between the lawn and the fence/gravel board. I absolutely hate strimming - probably because I'm useless at it!

I had the paving blocks installed for a patio last year and will use the same.

Obviously these will not be walked on so I'm sure the preparation involved doesn't need to be as thorough.

The question is, what type of base do I need? Do I still have to use mortar/cement? Could I get away with simply just digging the soil then plonking them in tightly or just use sand?

I have done some research already but I'm easily confused as my experience in this is limited especially with the types of sand, mortar & cement etc. I've learned building sand is a no-no as it become fluid when water-logged.

The blocks will measure 60mm in depth, 210mm length & 140mm wide.

Thanks very much.

Sponsored Links
I'm certainly no tradesman or expert, but agree with the building sand comment - at very least use sharp sand as a base, but ideally mix it with some cement (a dry mix of 6 to 1 parts sharp sand to cement). Cut your turf nicely before laying. This base will also resist any ground movement - e.g. from plant or tree roots or even the fence swaying from wind.
Nice idea by the way - I also hate strimming!

I've gone through three strimmers in the two years I've lived here simply because they don't do as they say on the box! We've tried a cheap one, a middle range one and a quite expensive one but on all of them the automatic feed never works after a few weeks, so you manually lengthen the cord and eventually the hub just keeps falling off!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back