What Bedding Mix for Laying Indian Sandstone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just a quick question, I've looked on Paving Expert and they give 2 mixes for wet mixes, 10:1 and 5:1 - what is the best wet mix for Indian Sandstone.

I don't want to go and lay 50m2 and find I've done it wrong!

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
Its stronger. Always good.
You could use 5:1 or 6:1 I guess, but why skimp?

Sponsored Links
Cheers, was just confused by Paving Expert giving a 10:1 mix.

Can I get away without adding anything else, just straight 5:1 sharp/cement mix.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers, was just confused by Paving Expert giving a 10:1 mix.

Can I get away without adding anything else, just straight 5:1 sharp/cement mix.

Thanks for the help.

soft, not sharp :) and a little plasticiser never goes amiss

Are you sure this is for bedding in, not mortar? Even more confused now, could have sworn it's sharp sand I need!!

Cheers!

Bedding layer can use a mix of soft and sharp. Some people use only soft. Some only sharop. personally I like a 50:50 mix - the soft adds workability and surface contact and the sharp adds extra crack propogation protection.

IMHO.

As wabbit says a sharp sand only mix will not really stick to the flags. Of course as long as the bed is solid and completely supports the slab it doesn't need to stick to it.

I use plastering sand which is somewhere in the middle between sharp and building sand.

Right ok, thanks, I did start using just sharp sand, I used this to bed in some bull nose steps that appear to have "stuck" ok, they're not moving anywhere yet!

I'm just worried now - will they be ok long term? If so I'll carry on with just sharp as the flags are going down well I think!?!?!

Thanks again!!

Just go with what you have. Like i said it, doesn't matter if they are not stuck to the bed because if they are layed correctly on a solid bed and pointed up then they have no where to move to anyway.

As for the flags forming steps i'm sure they will be fine but if not you'll know what to re-bed them with... :LOL: but seriously they will be fine i'm sure

Cheers, everything seems to be going very well dare I say it, it's my very first patio and at 55m2 of Indian Sandstone + 15 linear metres of bullnose I don't want to balls it up. Looks great so far though!

Cheers again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back