What bedroom window in a third story house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I know I'm not supposed to ask the same question in different forums but I think I might get a better response here.

My original post :arrow: //www.diynot.com/forums/windows-doors/can-i-use-this-window-in-a-second-floor-bedroom.309428/

The regulations state that if the window is above 4.5 metres then there should be a protected escape route to outside, but this would be impossible to do because the bottom of the stairs exit into a lounge and you would then have to go through the kitchen to get outside.

I have been given conflicting advise elsewhere, ranging from "if it's not worse than what was there before then it's ok" to "you must provide a protected escape route or you won't be able to sell or rent the property"

I'm not adding any extra rooms, just renovating the building however I want to turn the staircase around because this would put the current landing window into the bedroom (if I extend the bedroom).

There is no openable window in this bedroom the only natural light comes from the landing through glass above the door, although there is a piece of glass on the slope of the roof which I believe would of been the original 'window' for this room but it has been painted over with some sort of bitumen and it wasn't openable anyway.

There is another bedroom on this floor that has a window that needs replacing but I have the same problem
:(

Anyone ?

Sponsored Links
The escape from that bedroom should be no worse than before. There are no requirements to make it better.

Was there a door separating the landing on the first floor and the bedroom before the refurb? If so then a door separating the two should be present after the refurb.

If there is no door you would be wise to try and fit one in. Why can't you make one of the windows an escape window btw?

If refurbing then linked mains powered smoke alarms in every room should be on your list of things to do but again not legally required.

Thank you for your reply freddymercurystwin,

The escape from that bedroom should be no worse than before. There are no requirements to make it better.

Thanks. great news

Was there a door separating the landing on the first floor and the bedroom before the refurb? If so then a door separating the two should be present after the refurb.

No, but if I turn the staircase around I could fit one, this would have to be a fire door I believe.

If there is no door you would be wise to try and fit one in. Why can't you make one of the windows an escape window btw?

I was led to believe ( by the approved documents/ building regs) that any bedroom with floors above 4.5 metres from ground should not be fitted with escape windows because of the high risk of death or injury from falling from them (panicking), have I got this wrong ? if so I can fit a velux escape window in the roof which has got to be replaced anyway.
The other bedroom on the second floor has a dormer window fitted but needs replacing, so if you're saying I can install a escape window in this room then that's what I'll do.

If refurbing then linked mains powered smoke alarms in every room should be on your list of things to do but again not legally required.

Yes, I am going to do that, I've also have(yet to fit) an alarm which has a fire circuit which will be connected to the kitchen.

thanks again for the information and any more you've got :cool:

Regarding the escape window not being required, the Regs nowadays place more of an emphasis on an adequate means of escape rather than relying on alternatives that (as you rightly point out) pose a serious risk of death should it ever be 'tested'.

That said you do not have a particularly good means of escape (you can only exit your house via the kitchen if I understand your layout) in fact it is pretty bad IMO and your layout would not comply were it a new build therefore one needs to take a view on whether an escape window should be installed or not. If you were asleep and a fire breaks out in the kitchen (considered the highest risk area of a dwelling) and you find the stairwell full of smoke an escape window may seem quite attractive after all.

You seem to have a good grasp on what could reasonably be expected in a refurb, a heat rather than smoke alarm in the kitchen of course although I'd guess you know that already. If you have any other specific questions ask away.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your reply, I've had another look and think,

I am going to turn the staircase around and move it so it 'floats' above the ground to first floor staircase, this would leave a space for the new corridor without losing space in any of the bedrooms.
Will also fit a fire door to the new corridor and two velux escape windows which will give some extra safety to the 2 second floor bedrooms if the worse was to happen.

One other thing I've just thought of, at the end of this new corridor( bottom of moved stairs) is an outside wall, I could possibly apply for planning permission for an escape window here ! this would be approximately 4 metres from the ground.

thanks again

One other thing I've just thought of, at the end of this new corridor( bottom of moved stairs) is an outside wall, I could possibly apply for planning permission for an escape window here ! this would be approximately 4 metres from the ground.

Don't overly concern yourself with the height above GF of an escape window. Having an escape window that a fireman's ladder can reach is better than having none at all :!:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back