What boiler should I get?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old boiler is a conventional gravity hot water boiler by glow warm. I need lots of hot water .The heating plumbing is microbore with the matrix type feeder that feeds individual radiators.Shoud I upgrade to a system type boiler or stay with a conventional new boiler.The heating pump sometimes sticks and I have to bang the pump with a hide hammer gently of course.
Any expert advice would be appreciated.
The old boiler and plumbing is 49 years old and banging and shaking the whole house.I live in the Wigan area.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Google eco3....

You may be eligible for a new free boiler

given up on my myson before it gives up on me. Having a worcester greenstar 8000 fitted next week. Only on the recommendation of the installer.

Sponsored Links
Best advice is to find yourself a decent installer and go with what he recommends. Don't worry about getting people round and not using them, it's about finding someone your comfortable with.

Boilers these days are all generally reliable they have to be as majority have 5-10 year warranties.

Nothing wrong with microbore as long as it's well maintained, if it's working now a clean when the new boiler is installed should be sufficient to continue working.

Reason for the banging big the pipes is poorly laid pipes, it's the expansion and contraction of the pipes between the joists and themselves. I spent a lot of time stopping the noise in my house by wrapping padding round the pipes where the lay on joists etc, no more banging for me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back