What bolts/screws for hanging a column rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just been going round in circles with Screwfix. We bought a column radiator from them, but it didn't come with the screws and wall plugs. They are telling me they can't advise on what size the bolts/screws should be because of insurance and we need to consult an expert (slightly insulting comment considering I have just plumbed the kitchen...tbh I think they don't know the answer and were trying to FOB me off!).

Does anyone know what size bolts we need to buy to attach it to a brick wall? And if there are 'rules' around this that he was alluding to, for insurance purposes...

This is the very unhelpful instruction manual!! http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/pa_1139374.pdf
And the link to the product https://www.screwfix.com/p/acova-2-...tu/93661#product_additional_details_container

Many thanks,

Ruth

Sponsored Links
Are you planning to wall hang it or is getting the feet for it an option? What kind of wall type is it be be hung on?

Stud and Plasterboard, brick and plaster, etc??

If it's the later then you'll need at least Blue rawl plugs and 5/6mm screw/coach bolts and washers. If it's the former then heavy duty plasterboard anchors will be needed - gripit/butterfly/spread anchors/etc

1. There isn't much point asking Screwfix for technical advice. They don't have the expertise.
2. The manufacturer's can't really specify it because they don't know what people are going to be fastening to.
3. As Madrab says. As your wall is brick, then assuming normal plaster thickness, blue Rawl plugs, into a 10 mm hole, then 6 mm (diameter) x 40 or 50 mm (length) coach screws. Note the Screwfix website for blue Rawl plugs has the hole dimensions wrong.
4. Make sure the flow and return connections to the radiator as per the instructions.

(slightly insulting comment considering I have just plumbed the kitchen...tbh I think they don't know the answer and were trying to FOB me off!).
They have no idea of your competency, so i don't think you should be insulated , nor are they professional builders , just Shop Assistants , same as ARGOS/Sainsbury , would you ask them !!!
I have never used the Wall Plugs supplied with the equipment , found them often to be very cheap fittings or well oversized for the screw.

Sponsored Links
Must say though, the plugs and screwbolts you get with the Revive rads are excellent, big chunky red plugs with 60mm 11mm headed screwbolts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back