What bricks for an old cellar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 300 year old farmhouse with two cellars. They currently have brick floors which have moved so much over the years they look like the surface of the sea, so I'd like to put a new floor down. I just don't know what kind of bricks to use...

I don't want to create damp problems, so don't want to put down a membrane that forces the damp up the walls, I'll just get up the old bricks, compact the surface then lay new ones. I want them to be hardwearing, but don't want to lock in moisture that causes damp problems.

I thought about blue engineering bricks with a lime mortar to let the moisture through to evaporate, as they are relatively cheap and hard wearing. Any other ideas what sort of brick would be best on a budget?

Sponsored Links
Check out what £ your 300 year old pavers are selling for :idea: on a reclamation site - probably enough each brick to buy 2 new ones

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back