what bricks to use???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I trying to create a level floor for putting fish tanks on. It occured to me that the best way for me to do this would be to create a brick base. The mortar acting as a way to make the whole ground level just where the stands need to be, The rest doesnt matter.

Now as there will be a lot of weight on these bricks I need to know the best ones to use. the water content in the room will be 6000 litres, and this weight will bear down on the bricks. Will the mortar hold if i placed for example.. one bricks beneath each stand leg?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Sponsored Links
using 3-1 mortar, (thats 3 sand to one cement) and solid engineering bricks, you could put several tonnes on one brick with out effect.

noseall said:
using 3-1 mortar, (thats 3 sand to one cement) and solid engineering bricks, you could put several tonnes on one brick with out effect.

That's your bricks sorted, just dont forget to make sure that the floor can take the 6 tonnes in weight.........

gulp.. dont scare me with comment like that. Dont think there is any way for me to find out. It holds pretty well before with about three tons in it with no problems. Since the re-design I found i could fit a lot more in.

I think the concrete in there is about 2-3 inches thick. The weight will be spread around the sides not all in one place so fingers crossed

Thanks

Rob

Sponsored Links
Hmm, have you considered putting it on a spreeder plate to even out the loading?

Arkanon said:
I think the concrete in there is about 2-3 inches thick. The weight will be spread around the sides not all in one place so fingers crossed

Depending on type of floor construction, that could be the worst place!

I don't think it would hurt to check with an engineer just to make sure you don't lose your nice fishes through the possibly big hole in the floor :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back