What Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to split my cable tv single.
It will have about a 70ft run with 20ft being external.
Is CT100 cable suitable for cable tv or is this only for Sky.
If CT100 is the correct cable I cant see that in the Screwfix cables, is there an equivalent.

Sponsored Links
I found this site which give some info on cable types but 75 ohm cable comes in so many flavours that it is hard to choose between to price and quality and be sure it will work. And of course using active amplifiers can reduce quality needed but not having cable in my area I don't know what else goes through same cable and I know with Sky some TV boosters will not allow the remote sensors to work.

I hope someone with real knowledge will answer you soon.

I did quite a bit of research on this and settled on Webro Wf100. It's easy to get on line. Google it. I got a lot of info from AV forums, and a few installers websites.

Sorry to say I didn't I had a role of 75 ohm low loss coax TV downlead RG59U had it not been in stock then I would have bought better quality but it was there so I was it and to begin with it seemed to cure my problem and my sky reception improved. But within 6 months it was back to broken signal on Sky-Fi. The shorter run to bedroom with same cable is A1 and works a treat and the same cable works great with UHF.

I have used the 50 ohm version RG58 many times with VHF and pushed 50W through the cable without any problems.

But 70 foot is a long run. My son tells me he uses Sky cable for the lot now too easy to make a mistake and use cable with too low a quality and to have to replace once would use up all he had gained using cheaper cable.

For UHF I would use mast head amplifiers unless really close to a transmitter.

Sponsored Links
I dont know what you normally do, but in no way is RG59 or even RG58
suitable for sat IF signals, freeview or even pumping rf round ur house really. 59 is 75 ohm (58 being 50 ohm ) cable ideally suited to composite vid transmission and thats about it!

Go for ft100 or ct100 (pretty much the same apart from manufacturers codes) ideally foil and braid screened to filter out any nasties.

bonsoir, and bonuit to you all.
Owen :)

<i>I have used the 50 ohm version RG58 many times with VHF and pushed 50W through the cable without any problems.</i>
So somewhere in the range 30-300Mhz, i'm guessing the 144MHz HAM band?

Terrestrial TV is in the range 474-850Mhz.

Afaict sat signals after the downconversion by the LNB are roughly in the range 1-2GHz , ten times the frequency of the VHF HAM band.

In general as the frequency goes up you need MUCH higher quality cables to keep losses acceptable. This is one of the major reasons we have LNBs in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back