What can I do about this hearth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having carpet fitted in a room that I've almost finished renovating (just the plastering to get done.) However, I have only recently noticed how much higher the hearth is than the floorboards. Here's a photo:

I'm not sure what to do about this. Remove the whole thing or try and chisel a later off then level it perhaps?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I am having carpet fitted in a room that I've almost finished renovating (just the plastering to get done.) However, I have only recently noticed how much higher the hearth is than the floorboards. Here's a photo:

I'm not sure what to do about this. Remove the whole thing or try and chisel a later off then level it perhaps?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

If your having carpet with underlay, then theres a simple and cost free way round it.
The fitter will simply finish the underlay to the hearth, which should be same or similar height as the underlay thickness then carpet will simply flow over the hearth.
Itll he solid as theres no underlay, but saves you having to do/change anything etc.
Ive done it many times over the yrs with no problems

If your having carpet with underlay, then theres a simple and cost free way round it.
The fitter will simply finish the underlay to the hearth, which should be same or similar height as the underlay thickness then carpet will simply flow over the hearth.
Itll he solid as theres no underlay, but saves you having to do/change anything etc.
Ive done it many times over the yrs with no problems

Well that's a relief! I didn't realise underlay was that thick. Plus I didn't think about not having underlay there. Elsewhere I may have been concerned about a line showing up but there will be zero foot traffic here -- it's going to be under furniture.

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back