What can I do to fix this mess in kitchen?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have this situation after installing new kitchen cabinet's, old cabinet's were not good and there was hardly any but they had been boxed in and the cables for what I think is the whole house are located here I think they said...

I need to make this look better but also not completely do away with cables in an unfortunate place. What should I do ?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Also we had to install the new extraction unit too as the old one had never been fitted correctly. So we have a recirculation extraction right where this all is.

Husband just said its wires that go to things upstairs as well. No idea lol

Either plasterboard or a head-height kick panel ["headbutt panel"?]. Whatever you do, I would make it detachable in case you need access to whatever is behind it.
What does that ducting do? If it is exhausting "waste" cooking air into that space, you're going to end up with mould in there if you enclose it.

Sponsored Links
thank you. Yes its an extraction unit that sucks steam up a tube through a filter and disperses it into the air up at the ceiling height. Good point about mould... worst thing.

Needs ducting outside, simple panel across will hide all and also allow more options for drilling out for ducting.

You need a "Ceiling Filler" it closes the gap between the the top of the wall and ceiling, or in your case the bottom of the coving.

You will need a 6mm mdf board a length of baton and a vent. Screw the batton to the top of the units in line with the front of the boxing above, the metal flexi ducting looks like 4 inch so you'll need a vent compatible with 4 inch round ducting, this vent will need screwing to the ceiling filler with flexi ducting attached so the extractor recirculates into the room.

Cut the mdf to the distance between top of wall unit and underside of coving, cut for length and cut for the vent, screw mdf into baton and use no nails or similar to glue to existing boxing, then make a return to close end, paint it any colour you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back