Kitchen Wall Cabinets Pelmet position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having almost finished installing my kitchen cabinets, I have started to think about the fixing of the pelmet/cornice.

When I fitted this many years ago (in previous home) I aligned the cornice with the cabinet frame.
Having looked recently at the way pelmets have been fitted in showrooms I note that the cornice is aligned with the front of the door.

Is the a standard way or is it down to taste.

If the normal way is to aligned to the door, when you fix round the side of the cabinet do you,

A leave it overhanging the side the same distance as the front face
or
B Line it up with the side.

Sponsored Links
I personally think it looks better lined up to the front of the door, thats the way I normally place them, they are made with that in mind ( in most cases).

With the ends, if you look at the end of the cornice there is more than lighly a step on the bottom, I usually line the lower part up with the cabinet, which should follow on from the front. (hope this makes sense).

Try and get some mitre bond to do the joints, makes life a lot easier.

Ta Fitter, I understand what you are saying, unfortunatly my cornice has no step its L shaped with the L being about 130 degrees ( not 90).

What is 'mitre bond' & where is stocked?.

Not sure I understand where the 130 deg. comes in.

If the bottom is completely flat you can place them anywhere, although as I said I think they look better in line with the front of the door, providing that leaves you enough to screw through to fix them to the cabinets.

If you have more than enough cornice (bearing in mind the mitre cuts take a fair bit from the length), how about cutting a piece, holding it in position until you are happy with the look.

Mitre bond is just one of many brands, they are all 2 part, Wickes do one under their own name ( £7.99 ish), cut your joints make sure they are a good fit, put a few drops on one part and a light spay on the other hold firmly together for 20 seconds. Altougth the joint is made, I always leave it for 10 mins or so before lifting it into position, which if it is fairly long does need a second pair of hands

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info. I had already put short length of cornice up as 'look & see'. Think I will fit it flush with the doors.

Thanks again

Mitre bond good stuff, you can even stick your fingers to the cornice. (Made by Evo Stick)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back