What can I do with Air Admittance Valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've bought a house with a very small separate toilet. Alongside the throne is a three foot high tubular device with slots in the top. I can only assume that it is an air valve of some sort.

It is about 4" diameter and very ugly and I'd like to get rid of it. Or, substitute something else. Any ideas please?

Could, for instance, I substitute a much thinner pipe that just exits through the wall to the outside?

I've taken a couple of photos but don't know how to include them in the post.

Sponsored Links
Well, that was a bit of a struggle. How I got the snap horizontal I don't know.

Anyway, anyone can now see why I want to do something about this ugly brute of a pipe.

Thanks for your help, denso13

Sponsored Links
It's not pretty, is it? Paint it the same colour as the walls or box it in.

You could lower it. It should be fitted above the spillover height of the highest appliance connected which in this case is the basin: however if fitted to just above the level of toilet pan it is highly unlikely that the discharge from the basin waste (less volume than a w.c. flush, and discharging more slowly) will ever be a problem. Then fit box with louvre as above.
As to removing it altogether: it depends. If fitted on the ground floor with certain drain configurations it might prove to have been fitted by an over-cautious (and very correct) plumber; the way to test would be to remove the upstand from the branch and fit a 110mm plug in its place and try the effect on the wc flush. Chances are though that you will then discover why someone went to the trouble of fitting it!

Disregard second part of above post: I hadn't paid attention to to the basin waste connecting in.
I still think that if the bottom of the AAV is above the spillover i.e. top of pan you'll be oK

Never mind the Durgo, move the towel.
When flushed a loo can emit contaminated spray for around 2 metres.

No point washing your hands and then drying them on a towel contaminated with you-know-what!

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to box the valve in this weekend and will leave the space under the pipe open as a vent.

I'll post a picture when the work is done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back