What can i expect from a Party Wall Agreement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The house next door has been bought by a developer who wants to extend it up to the boundry. I have no objection to his plan. He mentioned that a party wall agreement will be needed.

What should I expect from the PWA?

Will it cost me anything?

Regards Rich

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming this is a single storey extension? Main thing to consider is if his works limit any potential future works on your property, access for maintenance etc. Also you want to make sure the boundary is where he thinks it is. Its not uncommon for people to nick a bit of land as the claim for damages tends to be much lower than the value of the build.

He serves notice of what he intends to do, you either agree to it or you are considered to descent (not agree). You have the right to appoint a surveyor at his reasonable expense to create the agreement (called the award). The surveyor will help ensure the build does not damage your property. With a developer its probably worth appointing a surveyor, as you have no real interest in keeping him happy as a neighbour and him you.

No cost to you.

You will have more control via a private agreement outside of a PW Award.

Is it worth getting an agreement so that should you, or another owner, can build onto the new wall?

That assumes a semi? Is that “normal” ?

Sponsored Links
Is it worth getting an agreement so that should you, or another owner, can build onto the new wall?

That assumes a semi? Is that “normal” ?
That's what the PWA does!

Also, a private agreement can't supersede or remove rights granted by Statute.

Cheers Woody.
I was sure that I read complaints on here about extended neighbours contesting the use of their wall for future extensions?

Thanks for the info. Looks like I will be appointing a Party wall surveyor to look after my interests.
Rich

There's no point speculating until you know precisely what is proposed. Ask the neighbour/developer to let you have plans and take it from there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back