What circuirts do you put on RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
Dont know if this has been asked before but after years of fitting RCD's i wondered what circuits you put on RCD's and what circuits you dont. Also while on the subject is there any particular order you put the circuits in and do you try to keep to this order from job to job. I am asking this question as i never put lights on a RCD, but loads of people complain that there lights have tripped theirs

NON RCD
1. Downstairs Lights (6A)
2. Upstairs Lights (6A)
3. Alarm (16A)
4. Boiler (16A)
5. Kitchen Sockets (32A)
6. Upstairs Sockets (32A)
7. Cooker (*A)

RCD Side

1. Downstairs Sockets (32A)
2. Shower (*A)
3. Garage (*A)
4. Outside power (*A)

* Dependent on rating of appliance
Aploigies if any circuits have been left out.

Sponsored Links
ElectRob said:
NON RCD
1. Downstairs Lights (6A)
2. Upstairs Lights (6A)
3. Alarm (16A)
4. Boiler (16A)
5. Kitchen Sockets (32A)
6. Upstairs Sockets (32A)
7. Cooker (*A)

RCD Side

1. Downstairs Sockets (32A)
2. Shower (*A)
3. Garage (*A)
4. Outside power (*A)

* Dependent on rating of appliance
Aploigies if any circuits have been left out.

Since all sockets that potentially could be used outside via an extension lead MUST be RCD protected, your working against regs by not including the kitchen sockets on the RCD side.

Rumour has it that 17th will amend the requirement to all sockets throughout the house and all bathroom circuits.

I am 3/4ths of the way through a 4 bed house rewire and have use 15 of the 17 ways.

Seperate circuit for the fridge freezer (not via RCD), for the bathroom (on RCD), lights (grd, 1st and loft not on RCD), cooker (without socket and not on RCD), boiler (not on RCD), immersion (not on RCD), garage (on RCD), study / mini server room (not on RCD), Grd flr ring (on RCD, 1st floor front radial (on RCD), 1st floor rear radial (on RCD), loft ring (on RCD), understairs misc radial (on RCD).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back